No signal to monitor

My brother had his communion, and was gifted money he wanted to spend on a pc; part of it is

of my old rig, but everything worked. The chip was getting worn out however, so we bought a used one

online. Friendly fellow, but maybe not so.

I put the cpu in my old mobo (asrock Z68 extreme 4 gen 3) and it started, without signal. Same with the 

second mobo that was practically free with the chip (asus P8Z68delux).

I tried a single stick of ram in all 4 slots, tried kingston 1333, hynix 1066, hyperx 1333 and corsair vengeance 1866.

Psu I tried with seasonic x560 and corsair 850 pro

Gpu's are amd rx480 & r9 290x, nvidia 9600gt.

Error code (on both mobo's) are B2, A2 & A0. The A2 is with the 9600gt so I guess that one is done for.

I tried using displayport, hdmi & dvi.

I made an appointment with the guy, he claims everything when he checked before selling. I am pretty sure I can get him to take it back,

although not at full price. Everything points at the cpu, or am I doing something wrong?

I never had this much trouble getting a pc to work, and the only constant is the cpu

Please advise me, I'm stuck

Edited by Wolfrider

Does not sound like the CPU to me.

All of those error codes generally mean that there is some kind of communication error with some kind of devices (HDD, VGA, etc), Look up the manual for your board for specifics.

Does either board have onboard video?

I would try clearing CMOS by removing battery and restarting with a single stick of memory (Remove all, then put one back in). Don't use the GPU if possible, also DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING ELSE. (Just CPU, Board, and Memory)

See if you can get into BIOS.

EDIT: I see you already tried with just the one stick of memory.., did you have other devices connected?

The reason I don't think it is the CPU, is because generally if the chip is dead, you won't even get those error messages. (Some boards can do BIOS updates and such without a CPU, so in that case maybe you would get errors.., but I don't think that is your case)

Edited by scr4wl

Right now it is on the board that doesn't have the internal gpu, but I tried the other one

but no avail. Although it might be the ram, I used the ram out of a mac pro, and got A0.

My brothers monitor did only have DP & hdmi ports, so maybe it would give visual with

a dvi? Please advise if is it worth it to switch the cpu a fourth time

Do you have memory that is not from a mac pro? irrc mac pro uses ecc memory, which could be causing your problem. Sometimes it will run as unbuffered, but ive also seen it not post (like what you are experiencing).

And, i would try in the board that has integrated gpu. Again with only one stick of non ecc memory.

Do you have the manual for either board? They will give you specifics (or at the very least something general) about the error code.

I tried with kingston hyperx and corair vengeance on the non-igpu board, and that gives me A0 code, which means everything works;

But dispite me trying 3 different gpu's with 3 different interfaces I didn't get any signal to my monitor.

I could use the hyperx on the ipgu board and connect it to my monitor with dvi, something I didn't try yet.

If you think it would be worth it I will try it tommorow

I suggest returning the chip and motherboard to the friendly online gentlemen,.. and put your known working chip back in your board and run it as is.

Your not going to wear out your processor in 6-years, Z68 chipset was released in May of 2011,.. so if everything worked you do not need to worry about replacing it.

Put the Corsair 1866 ram in and tell your bro to save his money.  :cheers:

What CPU is it? It seems you tried it in a Z68 motherboard. If its like a i7 2700k it will need a bios update before working since some of those are meant for the Z77 motherboard revision, but a simple bios update will make it compatible.

What CPU is it? It seems you tried it in a Z68 motherboard. If its like a i7 2700k it will need a bios update before working since some of those are meant for the Z77 motherboard revision, but a simple bios update will make it compatible.

Other than that being worded kinda backwards this seems like a possibility as I don't see what CPU you're using listed. (though I suppose a really early Z68 BIOS might not support the 2700K as it did launch after the 2600K so I guess that works too :) )

To clarify, Z6x series chipsets won't work with Ivy Bridge CPUs (3770K, 3570k, etc) without a BIOS update as they weren't out when the boards were designed where as a Sandy Bridge CPU will work in the Z7x board with no issue.  

To further support the old BIOS possibility (though I know some things don't 100% match up if you aren't using a Ivy Bridge CPU) some of the error codes can be related to the video card and some Sandy/Ivy era boards more commonly needed BIOS updates for newer GPU support the 290x and rx480 not working would then add up.  

So in short I would be looking to update the BIOS on the motherboard(s) if possible, but that usually requires a working CPU with boards that age so that could be fun...

Edited by cchalogamer

The cpu is a 2600k, and I used a 2600k in the asrock board as I bought them together at launch.

Sadly I don't have the original chip anymore. I can't update the bios because I don't get any signal to the monitor

EDIT

@scr4wl I did what you suggested, using the onboard dvi and one stick of ram did the trick. Didn't work before because

I was using displayport. Thank you!

I don't know how to update the bios of the P8z68 deluxe, as it doesn't have any interface for the igpu and none of my graphic cards return a signal.

This week I'll visit the seller and try his graphic card that he used on the mobo, if I get a signal and update the bios, will my brothers graphic cards (290x) work?

Edited by Wolfrider

@scr4wl I did what you suggested, using the onboard dvi and one stick of ram did the trick. Didn't work before because

I was using displayport. Thank you!

Glad you got it working. Now you can just attach the other components one at a time. This will narrow it down to whatever is causing the error to be thrown.., It could very well be that you need a BIOS update for the newer GPUs to work. The 9600 (Assuming the card is functional) should work without the BIOS update though.

Although unlikely, you may connect everything and find that it just works now.., I've owned a few very finicky boards where this was the case after similar situations.