Blu Ray movies

Gremlin

Bought a blu ray movie this past weekend. Tried to play it on the PC with VLC, VLC won't play it all saying it was missing aac files. Googled the error and found a page to install the files. Still no luck. 

I honestly don't want to pay for something like PowerDVD software. 

Any ideas?

Edited by Gremlin

Hey Grem, you can continue to battle the missing AACS and DRM libraries or you can bite the bullet and spring for PowerDVD or similar.  Even if you get the AACS and DRM libraries properly updated and installed there still isn't any guarantee that VLC will play every BR that your throw at it.

Another option would be to spring for some bluray rip software that would allow you to rip the decoded bluray content to your hard drive and play it from there.

Don't mean to sound like a negative Nancy, but I've spent hours trying to get bluray sources to play reliably via VLC and at some point it just seemed like a losing battle.  I went the PowerDVD route and also finally upgraded my installation AnyDVD HD and I sail through most everything now.

Good luck.

I just wanted confirmation that was the case :) 

I have anydvd hd the old one (before they changed names with free lifetime) and I will use to rip it.. 

How much did you spend on powerdvd? :P

If I remember correctly I spent $49.99 for PowerDVD Ultra.  I'm on their mailing list with my public junk email address and they are constantly sending out sales flyers.  If you don't mind not having the "latest and greatest version" you can pick up a prior revision here;

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberlink-DVD-EF00-RPU0-00-PowerDVD-15-Ultra/dp/B00UV3VCLC/ref=sr_1_3?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1495568968&sr=1-3&keywords=powerdvd

$39.99 / reputable seller / with a real install disk.

I'm still using version 13 and it has worked fine on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10.

My lifetime AnyDVD HD (Slysoft) subscription worked until about 2 months after the management changed.  The last two updates to the original version started hanging on "trying to contact update server".  I went ahead and purchased an annual license from RedFox and it has been working flawlessly now.  Although I'm still torqued that they basically screwed all of us our of our lifetime license original purchase price......... 

MakeMKV is free while in Beta, it will rip BluRays as well.

+1

This is how I watch blu rays.

VLC will play .mkv files as will Pots player and most freeware.