Crash by phantom installation. WT?

Cespenar

I was playing Elite Dangerous Horizons.

Things slowed a bit. Like "Can't connect to Mission Server"

It froze after that one.

I decided to look at event viewer in control panel after re-booting.

The event viewer showed about 5 lines of Error with "Installing Printer Driver"

Hey there, nothing was being installed. I checked Services and there is nothing listed that could install an Epson printer driver.

Hey people? Got any ideas please?

How much free space is on the partition where Windows is installed,.. are any of your hardware drivers out of date,.. is your BIOS out of date, misconfigured or overclocked.

SYS files such as EPSON.SYS could be third-party device drivers or critical system files that come as part of the Windows OS, so could be Windows was updating while you were playing game,.. still strange the 5 lines of error with installing printer driver, and I'm guessing you don't have an Epson printer. 

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks for the reply.

I do have an Epson printer. But Avast Internet Security always advises when an update is available.

So far it has not advised about a printer driver availability.

I have 156 Gigs free on drive C.

My sig says win 7 but it should be win10.

Looking at Services, Windows update is running, and says if stopped windows can't update, but also seems to say that programs can't update.

Trouble with this, as I see it is, Windows should update automatically, but no other programs should update.

I think Windows update tries to update everything. Maybe? Is this so with Win10?

Had the same problem this morning. About ten lines of error stuff trying to install a printer driver.

It may have been because I still had the old Epson 3900cx driver. I just installed a new driver for the XP220.

Hope the problem goes away.

CONFIG. SYS files contain configuration settings and specify what device drivers should be loaded by the operating system.

Could be Windows 10 is updating your EPSON.SYS files as critical system files, so Epson device drivers would be updated also. 

Updating all Corel Corporation hardware, Corel Draw device drivers, and Epson drivers most likely will solve the issue.

Edit : Hope the new drivers fixed it.  

Edited by Braegnok