Finally upgraded entire system

So the 8 year old system in my sig is officially retired. I'm ready to play some newer titles that I know it just wouldn't handle. I upgraded the video card probably 4 times, and the cpu once. But the cpu can't be upgraded any more and it's even holding back my video card at this point.I wanted to do this several months ago but I wanted to see what AMD had to offer. And after enough reviews, I'm happy with them, so I went to microcenter and bought the AMD 1700, 16gb of the fastest ram in stock, Asus ROG motherboard, 960 evo M.2, and windows 10. I'll still use the AMD 390 video card I already had.

It's a pretty big jump from the core 2 quad to this new 16 thread monster. And sata 2 to M.2!

I literally changed 2 or 3 settings to get the cpu to 4ghz, and another 2 or 3 to get the ram to it's stock settings (3200mhz). I only ran a couple stress tests and a quick benchmark so far but everything seems fine. Temperatures are fine and I didn't even change the cpu volts from auto. I don't know how I feel about this. It seems too easy any more! I know I could probably spend days changing a ton more settings to get that last percent of performance out of it. But it's just weird to me how easy it is any more to get at least, most of the extra out of it.

So tonight I download mafia 3 and maybe a couple others.

Edited by Fight Game

You were so cpu bottleneck with that processor, I had a Q6600 along with the R9 290 that i'm selling and i had it on HIGH settings for the first Watch dog game, when i upgraded to i7 2700k that i just sold, i went Ultra on watch dogs game. Almost 50 FPS higher and the minimum fps also improved. Now i'm going from an i7 2700k to an i7 7700k, wondering how much performance i can get out of this 1070 for my video card. The i7 2700k was overclocked to 4.5GHz, so not a whole lot as going from Q6600 to i7 2700K. Let me know if you want to do crossfire with an r9 290, it should work with a 390 in Windows 10.

If you pair the R9 290 i have for sell, your 8GB memory on your 390 will still be 8GB combined (i think), but the speed for the core and memory will revert to the 290. You'll have to make sure that OCZ 750W PSU can handle the cards in crossfire. Let me know because i already have a box for it to ship. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Under stress, the cpu was getting too hot using the stock cooler so I got an Artic Freezer 240 AIO.  I can't install it until Artic either sends me an AM4 retention bracket (backordered) or I receive the AM3 backplate that I bought off ebay.  My motherboard supports using either.  So in the meantime I gutted everything in the case, cleaned it all up nice and figured out how I'm going to rearrange my dvd/cd/bluray burner and SSD so that the cooler can be placed in the front of the case (vertical) and still use all 4 fans that it comes with.  It will be a little tight in there but everything should be good and actually look cleaner since I actually routed, or will route, all my wires properly.

I had my 1700 up to 4 but the darn thing isn't stable enough to run OBS and game at the same time.

3700 is a fair overclock though, through downclocking for stability I've worked my way all the way down to 3750 lol.