Time for a new Monitor--Help and Suggestions Please.

So I now have the rig in my sig.  My monitor is a bust, as I was taking a chance, as many did, from this SKorean supplier.  

For the two days that it did work, I was struck with that new monitor euphoria playing Ghost Recon:Wildlands and Watchdogs 2.

Im typing this message on my old 27" monitor and it feels small.  Makes me laugh.

Im looking for something right at 30" to 32" with 2550x1440 or 2550x1600.  Frankly and I know its only my opinion but I think anything over 60hz refresh is overrated for gaming.  I can still kick azz and be happy with what I am looking at on the screen.

I don't really buy into the curved madness.  A Flat screen is enough for me.

A big question I have is that I cant remember if you can use a lesser resolution on a 4k screen.  Say, I liked and bought a 32" 4k capable monitor.  Could I then say Run it at 2550x1440 or what ever the ratio is for that screen??  It seems older monitors come with an advertised Maximum resolution but you don't have to run that RES if your rig cant push it out.

Is it the same for the 4k monitors?

The biggest difference between LCD and CRT monitors was the fact that the LCD screens really were meant for a specific resolution, while the CRT used the old tube technology.  That being said, some panels downscale better than others, specifically, a 4k will almost ALWAYS downscale to 1080p flawlessly simply because 4k resolution is literally twice as wide and tall as 1080p.  I also have a 27" 1440p monitor that downscales to 1080p just fine.  I guess my main point here is, yes, it will downscale, just how 'pretty' it looks might depend on the panel...

I was the same way with the refresh rate thing until I made the jump to 144hz + GSync... Now i can't go back, so I would suggest either go all the way in or continue to stay out of it.  Going back to 60hz screen at my parents house makes me not even want to play games.

@xenkw0n, thanks for the reply.  Upon further research, I don't find much choice at 30" to 32".  What there is seems like old tech.  Even most of the newer Monitors were from the last two to four years.  Trouble is I need a monitor now, this week.  This is my work rig im typing from, my gaming rig is cold as ice in the corner, until I get a new screen.  I see a lot more choice if I go to a 4k screen, but im seeing a price jump to the $800 range and then up to like $1400 for a curvy screen, G-string, wide-body, with all the bells and whistles, Gee Whiz.  I can easily make the jump, but I just cant get my head around it. 

The only thing that I could even come close to accepting is a Creative Benq 32" 4k, @$799.  Man we are getting taken to the cleaners by these people.  800 bucks for a Video Card these days? That is just as bad.  Forget it.  Its no small wonder people buy smart phones and other people make a fortune creating Phone Games for them.  Its all anyone can afford now.  PCs are pricing themselves out of business.  Pretty soon there wont be any review articles here because there wont be anything left to review.  No More PCs.  I will make a decision soon.

Well, I went ahead and purchased, last years monitor as my system is kind of older now as well.  I will wait until my next build to splurge for the latest greatest gaming monitor. Maybe the price will be down a bit by then. (X's fingers)

Bang for the buck in the lower price range Monitors, I decided on the Asus PB328Q 32" @2560x1440, Flat screen.  It comes with a 75hz refresh, which is at least somewhat better than the standard 60hz in this range of monitors. It has a 4ms grey to grey, and a 15ms black to white response time which will be enough for my gaming needs.  $449 plus $14.50 for a 2-year warranty and tax = $489.80, out the door. It will arrive Tuesday with Prime Free 2-day delivery.  Cheers.

post-32293-0-66100000-1489352500_thumb.jpg