Antec 900 case

#38 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16456 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Well, considering the extra load, compared to the 95W chip the temps aren't that much different, which is strange to me.
I am not an engineer, so I am probably wrong here, but ehh, if you have a 65W chip and a 95W chip, when both are overclocked, one would say the 65W chip would still run cooler than the 95W chip, but when i see the benchmarks online that include temps, the difference is not that much.

A 65W chip running at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts will generally run the same as a 95W chip at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts.

They're all the same silicon, and they won't vary by much. The only reason the 1700 is a "65 watt" chip is because it's clocked lower at lower voltages. Once you change that, it's going to use a LOT more power.
Tolerance is a sign of weakness.

#39 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 16456 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

That explains the higher reported temperatures!  You do not need an offset to manage thermals better you just need better cooling.  By running max cooling and max speed on an AIO pump this offset is irrelevant.

I wish AMD would stop doing this kind of thing. It's confusing for everyone and serves no real purpose.

#40 WarWeeny

WarWeeny

Charizard on the streets, snorlax in the sheets

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

Well, considering the extra load, compared to the 95W chip the temps aren't that much different, which is strange to me.
I am not an engineer, so I am probably wrong here, but ehh, if you have a 65W chip and a 95W chip, when both are overclocked, one would say the 65W chip would still run cooler than the 95W chip, but when i see the benchmarks online that include temps, the difference is not that much.

A 65W chip running at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts will generally run the same as a 95W chip at 4 GHz and 1.4 volts.

They're all the same silicon, and they won't vary by much. The only reason the 1700 is a "65 watt" chip is because it's clocked lower at lower voltages. Once you change that, it's going to use a LOT more power.

Hmm sounds plausible/sensible :P 

You can get the weeny out of the war, but you cannot get the war out of the weeny

Rest in peace my good old gtx 480, you deserved it

Thinks he has a weeny worthy of war.

#41 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 16456 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:20 AM

Hmm sounds plausible/sensible tongue.png

<- is a computer engineer. :P

#42 WarWeeny

WarWeeny

Charizard on the streets, snorlax in the sheets

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hmm sounds plausible/sensible tongue.png

<- is a computer engineer. :P

<--- is not a computer engineer ;P

figured it would be something like that though.

On a different note, digital foundry did an extensive review of the chip (1800x) and did some interesting benchmarks with certain settings, in case people are still hungry for some extra information that has not been processed in this review.

You can get the weeny out of the war, but you cannot get the war out of the weeny

Rest in peace my good old gtx 480, you deserved it

Thinks he has a weeny worthy of war.

#43 ccokeman

ccokeman

????????????

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12307 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

That explains the higher reported temperatures!  You do not need an offset to manage thermals better you just need better cooling.  By running max cooling and max speed on an AIO pump this offset is irrelevant.

I wish AMD would stop doing this kind of thing. It's confusing for everyone and serves no real purpose.

I agree, Especially when they overclock within a narrow margin. At least on the first board and 3rd BIOS.  Tried dropping cores on the first board and it does not play nice. 

Processor Intel Core I7 4690X  4.3Ghz
Memory G.Skill RipJaws  32GB 2400Mhz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV BE
Graphics  GTX TitanX x2
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor ASUS PQ321Q
Cooling Liquid by comittee

Storage  OCZ RevoDrive 350 480GB  Seagate 8TB
Follow OCC on facebook.png