my laptop was burning my fingers not because of dust bunnies

potatochobit

it was so cold outside, my computer decided to put on some socks

this was between the actual fan and the heatsink and was completely blocking the airflow

while gaming, my keyboard was getting so hot it was literally burning my fingers, i thought man, I am doing some hard core gaming with huge FPS

but my laptop was not putting out as much hot air as it usually did

so I thought the fan went bad

after opening it up, I had to remove all the taping around the heat sink and inside was this 

I believe this was mostly caused from using the computer on a bed without a hard surface

it has been pulling in the cotton residue, dust, and a little pet hair while i was visiting relatives for the holidays

I do blow can air to clean out the heatsink, but this was on the other side in the fan and nothing would help it other than physical removal

moral of the story: dont use gaming computers on a bed without protection 

this was a nvidia 640M heatsink and I could see it throttle while this was happening

IMG_8976_zpsayiiuda5.jpg

Edited by potatochobit

Sadly very common. Most of the laptops I service get used on soft surfaces and clogged like that. I've even seen where the blockage is burning where its been against the heatsink.

Wish i had taken a picture of the laptop cooling pad I was given because "it doesn't move much air" has a blower style fan and the intake side of the blades had between 1/16" and 1/8" of yuck.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk