AMD Launches Ryzen 7 CPUs with March 2 Worldwide Availability

Guest_Jim_*

The day has finally come and AMD has launched its Ryzen 7 CPUs, based on the Zen microarchitecture that has been the focus of demoes, leaks, and rumors for quite a while now. Pre-orders are starting today at over 180 global etailers and boutique OEMs, with worldwide availability being March 2.

The Ryzen 7 line includes three processors: the 1800X; 1700X; and 1700. All three are 8-core, 16-thread CPUs. With higher numbers come higher specs and prices, with the Ryzen 7 1800X having a base clock of 3.6 GHz and boost clock of 4.0 GHz, but a TDP of 95 W and a price of $499. On the lower end, the Ryzen 7 1700 has a base clock of 3.0 GHz, a boost of 3.7 GHz, a TDP of 65 W, and a suggested price of $329. The Ryzen 7 1700X falls between these two, with a base clock of 3.4 GHz, boost of 3.8 GHz, TDP of 95 W, and a suggested price of $399.

Of these three, only the Ryzen 7 1700 comes with a cooler, the Wraith Spire, which should keep your CPU cool while only producing 32 dB of noise. AMD has also created the Wraith Stealth cooler, but it is not listed with the CPUs.

Along with these new CPUs are some 82 new motherboards based on the X370 and B350 chipsets from AMD. ASRock, Asus, Biostar, Gigabyte, and MSI are among the companies who designed these motherboards, and they are also expected to be widely available on March 2.

Now, here is the AMD Ryzen 7 Release video up on AMD's YouTube's channel:

Source: AMD

Back to original news post

The hype makes sense both because of the return of competition but also, I would speculate, because of the new architecture. It has been a long time since we saw such a significant leap from AMD or Intel, and with Zen apparently achieving a 52% IPC improvement, surpassing the 40% goal (this is according to the embedded video), that's exactly what it is, a significant architectural leap. I think I saw rumors that Intel's next major architecture might also represent a significant leap (in part by removing some legacy x86 components for improved efficiency) but that isn't launching next week.

Personally, I'm very interested in Ryzen and seeing it succeed because I do want to see some more competition and affordable options out there, but I'm not in a position or in desperate need of a new build currently, so I'm not too hyped. Vega has me more intrigued actually, in part because I really want to see what the HBCC makes possible, but that's later in the year (but with more info coming next week at the Capsaicin event).

In any case, looking forward to the review!

With the pricing and performance in a few benchs it looks appealing to say the least. AMD had to go full slate and start from a blank sheet of paper to effect any change in the culture and get performance back where it needs to be. I would just like to see the pricing come in a little more aggressively against the 7700K.