New Monitor Time.... Opinions

Rokkaholik

I'm toying with getting a new monitor. My current Samsung BX2440 is going on 7 years old now and still functioning flawlessly, but I'm looking into a 28-32" wide screen or Ultra-wide screen. I prefer to stick to Samsung as they have been very good to me over the years. LG would be a second choice, and oddly enough, Dell would be 3rd.

I see people raving about these new curved screens, but I'm not sure if they are worth the bang for the buck or not. I do play video games, but not as much as I used to. I'm running an ATI Radeon R9 390 8gb video card, so I'm sure it can handle a bigger screen just fine.

I don't watch movies on my PC either so I'm not sure the 2k/4k is worth looking into either.

Call me "cheap", but I also wouldn't pay more than $300-350 for a monitor. My current monitor was $299 when I got it and has lasted this long, so it's paid for itself as far as I'm concerned.

I see Newegg has a section classified as "Gaming Monitors", but I'm not sure what would set them apart other than maybe a response time or just the word "gaming" to make people spend more money than needed.

Ideas?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for something with at LEAST 75hz+ at this point if you play games.  And that's an ultrasharp, better picture quality overall but suffers from low refresh-rate and high latency.

Honestly... this is the PERFECT monitor for what you're looking for.  LG, 75hz, Freesync (you have AMD so you can use this), ultrawide, and still 1080p.  Under $300.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025342

Just make sure to use Display Port for Freesync and 75hz.

Edited by xenkw0n

That's actually one I have on my wish list on Newegg.

This was another. I like the Anti Glare and the height adjustment.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025038

This was another, but no height adj or anti glare

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6R44HJ4994

Edited by Rokkaholik

Man those look really cool!  I'm tossed myself right now between asus mg279Q @ $529 or  dell s2716dg at $479 this week at best buy.   Basically IPS/Freesync or TN/Gsync.  DECISIONS!!! 

Also check out TFTcentral.co.uk  for monitorish things

I guess it depends on if the room you'll have it in would case issues with glare. Though the one I referenced is cheaper and 75 + Freesync. For your current setup, this would be ideal. Freesync and GSync are amazing pieces of tech, honestly.

And Utmost - Depends on if you plan to be using AMD or NVidia GPUs for a while. I actually own the DELL S2716DG and am in love with it. I have two sitting next to each other because, hey I love symmetry.

Edited by xenkw0n

I'm looking for a new monitor too.  Can't decide if I need IPS, or VA or just TN.  I watch a lot of videos, and do a little gaming.  I'm often sitting quite a ways from the monitor, and not always at the monitor level.  I'm looking for something around 27".   I'll be interested to see what you think of the Ultra-wide screen.  There are a lot of choices out there, that makes it harder to make a decision.

I haven't decided on Ultra-wide yet or not.... just weighing options. The new monitor will be bigger without a doubt, but "how much?" and "where" are the questions.

I also have an old O'Sullivan hutch type HUGE desk which has the cubby on the upper right, 2 mall shelves and then a drawer on the lower right, so I may have to do some surgery to this old beast to get a big monitor to fit...lol

Edited by Rokkaholik

I actually just switched from a 4K Monoprice back to a 1080p, I went with a $249 Asus https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722 24" 144hz. It preforms spectacularly in games and OS operations. I don't play movies on my PC either, but I did test one out and it was decent, but too bright. I don't have the settings adjusted for movies though, just games. I picked it up at Fry's, and while I was there I could have sword I saw a similar version in 28", but I might have been in a daze form all the technological goodness there.

The ASUS MG28UQ is a 28" 4k monitor at 60hz.  Your MG248Q is really the ASUS top of the line 24" 1080p Freesync monitor.  It's TN though, and really oriented at gaming only.  Not that you can't use it for movies, but if not at least close to eye-level, you will get some color distortion.

@ OP - If you want to go with Ultrawide at the price-point you already specified with a little gaming mixed in then the LG monitor I originally linked to is the only answer.  If you change your price range or focus on gaming vs. non-gaming, then things obviously change... But for a little bit of benefit from both ends of the spectrum there isn't another monitor out there that fits your needs as perfectly as that one... and it's LG, one of your preferred manufacturers.