I have had 5 ebay auction winners refuse to pay this year and it's only been January

potatochobit

This is getting ridiculous

ebay allows buyers to cancel orders which is fine

but they allow people to win an auction and then refuse to pay if they dont like the price - without penalty 

you can just bid on three of the same auctions at the same time and whichever you win that are higher, just cancel them 

of course, ebay still charges sellers fees and give you "fee credits" for future auction listings instead of refunding your money when people cancel. 

I've tried using craigslist a few times, sometimes its ok when its older buyers but this is how the last video game sale went

I sold a new PS4 game for 40$ on craiglist

buyer agrees to the price and says hes coming to pick it up

he texts me back later says he will come later

then he texts me back asks if he can have a discount, so I give him 5$ off 

he then texts me back and asks if I can deliver it to his house and he doesnt even live in the same city as me - I told him, no

he then texts me back and asks if I can give him change, he only has 40$

I told him go to wendys and buy a soda, kid 

so I meet him at wendys and its a middle aged asian man driving a luxury SUV, lol

some people just like to use craiglist for the thrill of it I guess

gotta get those rock bottom bargain prices

I got tired of dealing with the BS. It only takes a handful of crappy buyers to really make the place toxic.

I still have a dead 4870X2 on the wall that some guy bought, ran for a week, and decided it "didn't work". Ebay sided with him, even though his proof of non-operation was a 3DMark run that he was hitting escape on (and he had MANY MANY scores posted with the card as he overclocked it). He sent it back in a cardboard box without any packing material or a static bag. I got my money back (including shipping) but my best overclocking 4870X2 was destroyed in the process. I think that might have been the last time I sold on eBay.

That sucks. I would assume eBay would punish users who do that often, but nothing stopping them from just making a new account. I'm not a fan of Craigslist either. Its really crappy in my area and people don't even read what you write. I constantly get people texting me who live in cities 1-2 hours away. I guess its very difficult to read the city name in the title. Then if they are local they'll agree to the set price ahead of time then try to haggle when you meet. I really despise the people on Craigslist in my area.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I have never backed out on a ebay purchase.

I have had to contact ebay when a seller tries pulling a quick one (like i bought a 160gb intel ssd and the title pic and description said 160gb but after i got the confirmation email from paypal I checked threw my recent orders and the item number was right but title and description had been changed to 80gb)

Main thing I use ebay for is laptop parts (mostly screens) as it seems to be hard to get them otherwise without spending double or more.

I can't believe that they let people back out. I remember years ago in terms of use it used to say you couldn't back out once a bid was placed.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

evilbay is full of bottom feeders these days. I BARELY sell anything anymore. I don't have the patience or time to deal with idiots. Ebay wants to be Amazon, so they always side with the buyer.

My uncle does very well buying and selling vintage Matchbox stuff on there and seldom has an issue, and he makes appx 10-20k a year just doing that

I think it's a MUCH different ballgame when dealing with PC related material. I NEVER had issues when I was buying/selling guitars and CD's. All my issues started when I got into the computer stuff. It has a LOT to do with non experienced self proclaimed "techs" and other scammers looking to switch items that they fried with the same item that they just found you're selling. I mark all my stuff 2 times. Once in plain sight to see if they will try to copy it, and then a 2nd time that they'd never seen. Sadly, I STILL lost the claim both times it happened as ebay said they cannot prove that the buyer switched items. ummmm.... That's why I marked them and took pics, as well as took pics of the serial numbers?!?!?!?

I gave up