• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nice_shoes

nice_shoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

I haven't been following the issue at all, so I'm approaching this with very little info.

First question: Is there a problem, or a danger, using Adobe Flash Player? I would like to use an on-line electronic circuit design program that requires Flash Player to be installed in my Opera browser, and I've downloaded Flash Player ver 24.0.0.186...............but did I make a mistake by doing that? I also installed the same version on Firefox.

Second question: What is the danger, if any?

Third question: Should I remove, or disable, Flash Player?

CPU....................... Intel i5-6500
MOBO................... Asus Z170-E
RAM....................... 16 GB DDR4-2400
HARD DRIVES........ [C:] Micron C400 128GB SATA III.......[D:] Seagate 160 GB SATA (150) with 8 MB cache
PSU....................... generic 550W PSU
VIDEO CARD.......... XFX GeForce 9600 GSO...........running dual LCD monitors, 27 inch and 24 inch
OS......................... Windows 10  64-bit

#2 Braegnok

Braegnok

Nimrod

• Folding Member
  • 1190 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

Once the standard and applied in virtually everything, Flash Player has lost that position to HTML5 in late 2016,.. after a series of unfavorable attacks which were executed through exploiting Adobe Flash security vulnerabilities.

And due to the vulnerabilities I block Adobe Flash, and other plug-ins, from running automatically on Firefox, Chrome, and Microsoft Edge and only re-enable when needed,.. also I try to keep Flash updated with latest patch/updates.

Instructions for blocking :  http://www.komando.c...setting-now/all

For YouTube, NetFlix, and Facebook I use HTML5 as automatic default player.  :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok, 09 January 2017 - 04:16 AM.

Intel Core i7-7700K

Asus Z270-WS

Nvidia GTX1080Ti SLI

32GB DDR4 2400MHz

SeaSonic SSR-1000PD

Corsair H115i

#3 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*

ANTITHAT

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7510 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

If the applet you want to use requires Flash then no, you have not made a mistake because it is what you need. As Braegnok pointed out, Flash has had a number of security vulnerabilities, which is one of the reasons it is being replaced by other options, such as HTML5 when that is possible. It is also not a particularly speedy program either, which is another reason it is being replaced.

As far as being in danger, yes, having Flash installed and running makes you vulnerable, but there are many ways to protect yourself. One is to make sure you're only visiting sites you can trust, so you are less likely to be exposed to any malicious code that can attack Flash vulnerabilities. Something else you can do, at least in Firefox (I don't use Opera) is have the browser set to ask you about running the Flash plug-in. If it is not running, then it will not run malicious code. (You might also want to look into this extension too: Click to Play per-element. If there are multiple things that want to run Flash on a page, this will make it so only those you click on will be activated. Firefox activates Flash, and other plug-ins, on entire pages at a time, and not as single elements) You can also look into using the NoScript extension, which will block various scripts from running on a page, again preventing/limiting when Flash is run.

Using an extension like NoScript may be overwhelming though, especially as some sites have a lot of scripts on them, and it can be hard to guess at first which you want to run and which you want to block. Just going with having Flash set to Ask to Activate though, and being cautious with the sites you visit will probably be enough and is not as burdensome. Of course that is my opinion and use a number of things to limit what scripts and content are run on webpages, so I may have a high tolerance.

Processor: AMD A10-5800K @ 4.40 GHz (44.0x100)
Cooling: Corsair H110
Motherboard: ASUS F2A85-M PRO
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB
PhysX: NVIDIA GTX 1070 8 GB
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x8 GB (32 GB total) at 1866 MHz 10-10-10-27
PSU: OCZ Fata1ty 750 W
Regular Saturday game stream at YouTube - OCC Live (forum thread)
Personal streaming YouTube - GuestJimOCC Live

The Body on Games (YouTube, Release Calendar, Blog, and Patreon)

#4 nice_shoes

nice_shoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

thanks to Nimrod and ANTITHAT for the prompt responses............After taking the precautions that have been suggested, I think that I've configured both Firefox and Opera to not run Flash before asking permission.

But, I guess that I am still vulnerable if I am on a site that requests to use Flash, and if I answer "yes" because I want to view the content, I am still vulnerable at that point. I'm using F-Secure as my security software, hopefully it will detect something malicious..............not sure about that.

CPU....................... Intel i5-6500
MOBO................... Asus Z170-E
RAM....................... 16 GB DDR4-2400
HARD DRIVES........ [C:] Micron C400 128GB SATA III.......[D:] Seagate 160 GB SATA (150) with 8 MB cache
PSU....................... generic 550W PSU
VIDEO CARD.......... XFX GeForce 9600 GSO...........running dual LCD monitors, 27 inch and 24 inch
OS......................... Windows 10  64-bit