Overclocking GPU noob question...

BairdGT

Not entirely new to the whole overclocking world but have become more interested in reading between the lines more 

in regards to actual clock speed, benchmarking numbers and the whole what do they all mean thing.. 

I bought myself a MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 and have been tinkering with overclocking it and am curious to which numbers do I pay attention too. 

Example...

AfterBurner:
Core - 2075

Mem - 4532

Unigine: 
Core - 2100

Mem - 4529

GPU-Z:
Core - 2062

Mem - 2266

Now Core is relatively the same between all 3 but but the Mem is the one i'm curious about. 

Attached are benchmarks i've done using Unigine,
4k numbers are a bit low but in BF1 in 4k i'm averaging 52 FPS not sure if the benchmark is harsher on the card then BF1 or what. 

post-143524-0-36470400-1482991937_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Memory is read very weird between different piece of software. If you notice it is pretty much twice the speed as gpu-z    and you will notice other software will read that half number as well  idk why but it happens.

An OCC guide is being released shortly. But in the meantime I'll see what I can do to help ya out.

Personally I've seen the same thing, right now for me Heaven shows core values and not the overclocked ones. GPU-Z shows the correct values but the memory is divided by 4 (so 2000 is 8000) similar to yours. I would be inclined to believe Afterburner over Heaven. I have in the past always used GPU-Z for my final values as that has been true in the past. It's hard to say which is right, but both Afterburner and GPU-Z are very close to each other (if you factor in the division for memory). Afterburner is dividing your memory by 2, which is very common as its technically DDR (double data rate).

Also you score confuses me, the Score matches running basic dx9 mode while the FPS match running Extreme DX11 mode. Not sure what settings you used to get those numbers.

2075/8995: Basic DX9 1440P

FPS: 108.3

Score: 2728

Min FPS: 35.1

Max FPS: 240.9

2075/8995 Extreme DX11 1440P

FPS: 59.8
Score: 1507

Min FPS: 17.8

Max FPS: 133.9

• 2 weeks later...

An OCC guide is being released shortly. But in the meantime I'll see what I can do to help ya out.

Personally I've seen the same thing, right now for me Heaven shows core values and not the overclocked ones. GPU-Z shows the correct values but the memory is divided by 4 (so 2000 is 8000) similar to yours. I would be inclined to believe Afterburner over Heaven. I have in the past always used GPU-Z for my final values as that has been true in the past. It's hard to say which is right, but both Afterburner and GPU-Z are very close to each other (if you factor in the division for memory). Afterburner is dividing your memory by 2, which is very common as its technically DDR (double data rate).

Also you score confuses me, the Score matches running basic dx9 mode while the FPS match running Extreme DX11 mode. Not sure what settings you used to get those numbers.

2075/8995: Basic DX9 1440P

FPS: 108.3

Score: 2728

Min FPS: 35.1

Max FPS: 240.9

2075/8995 Extreme DX11 1440P

FPS: 59.8
Score: 1507

Min FPS: 17.8

Max FPS: 133.9

Appreciate the replies! 

As for the the scores and such.. My current settings on Unigine Valley Benchmark are.. 

Language: English

Preset: Custom

API: DirectX 11 

Quality: Ultra

Stereo 3D: Disabled

Anti-Aliasing: x8 

Full Screen: Checked

Resolution: System for 4k, 2560x1440 for 1440p and 1920x1080 for 1080p 

I just ran Unigine again without the overclock to see what kinda score I get...

http://imgur.com/a/Oc6oJ

I just ran it again with the same settings as you. The results didn't save :wallbash: but it was fairly close to yours. A few FPS more and overclocked to 2065 / 8984.

So I guess I'm not sure what your asking really. The results seem normal.

Wasn't really asking a question.. more a statement of my settings and pic of outcome cause you had said my score confused you and I wanted to make sure I hadn't made a typo on my results in original post. 

Although i'm curious and this will be a question lol 

you've overclocked your memory to 8984?? That's like over double what Unigine says mines at.. they can be overclocked that much on the memory side?