I made some DIY Lamps

WhenKittensATK

So last year I participated in white elephant for the first time at work and with my family. One had nothing but boozes and the other was gift cards. Pretty lackluster to be honest since I don't drink often nor do I like gift cards. So I decided to do something different and make something instead.This is the result of a weekend. Click the image for the full album + descriptions.

2F58kNnl.jpg

Edited by WhenKittensATK
  • Like 1

Nice looking lamps! Are those LED lamps? 

Yeah they are LED Edison style bulbs. It might be too bright for a shade-less lamp. The parts are only hot-glued so if they decide to upgrade to a dimmable socket or a lower wattage bulb it should be fine.

How bright are those things? Those fit in standard sockets in your home? Never seen these before.

This one says 400 lumens, but the specs sheets aren't normally precise. Color temperature is 2200K, so its like an orange glow. The natural white and day white bulbs cost a bit more.

They will fit your normal E26/27 light socket, so you don't need anything special for them. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, this one is kinda big. They have the traditional filament bulbs which look much nicer, but those are running at 40-60W+ compared to the LED versions from 4-6W+. They also make dimmable versions for both types as well, just make sure the label says dimmable for the best results. If you dim the LED ones a bit they can look just as interesting as the traditional filament ones. If you need a lot of light then LED would be the better option as they normally have more lumens. If you want atmosphere lighting then the traditional filament would look better, but not provide much light. Amazon seems to offer better prices than my local hardware stores ($12 a bulb vs $20 for a 3-5 pack).

http://www.integral-led.com/education/what-are-lumens

Edited by WhenKittensATK

How bright are those things? Those fit in standard sockets in your home? Never seen these before.

This one says 400 lumens, but the specs sheets aren't normally precise. Color temperature is 2200K, so its like an orange glow. The natural white and day white bulbs cost a bit more.

They will fit your normal E26/27 light socket, so you don't need anything special for them. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, this one is kinda big. They have the traditional filament bulbs which look much nicer, but those are running at 40-60W+ compared to the LED versions from 4-6W+. They also make dimmable versions for both types as well, just make sure the label says dimmable for the best results. If you dim the LED ones a bit they can look just as interesting as the traditional filament ones. If you need a lot of light then LED would be the better option as they normally have more lumens. If you want atmosphere lighting then the traditional filament would look better, but not provide much light. Amazon seems to offer better prices than my local hardware stores ($12 a bulb vs $20 for a 3-5 pack).

http://www.integral-led.com/education/what-are-lumens

Thanks for the info I going to see if I can find some to try out.

I have seen these in Restaurants and they look amazing. You would think they get hot but they do not! 

Yeah I got a regular LG LED bulb for my desk lamp. Cool to the touch on the bulb after hours. But if you try to touch the socket end its a bit hot there.

If you want to light up something more discreet they also make LED light strips with white LED and RGB (random example): https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Non-waterproof-Christmas-Decoration-Daylight/dp/B00HSF65MC

Edited by WhenKittensATK