MSI X99A Gaming Pro I7-5960X OC

Belezeebub

I am looking for BIOS Screenshots/OC Numbers of people with this same setup so I have a good baseline I think I got a good CPU

Just for giggles I tried 46X102 @ Auto for Voltage and Got into Windows Ran Passmart Performance Test 9 and Cinebench_15** with no crashes but 65C was higher then I want so I am starting from the ground up and some known working numbers would help me get a baseline

Right now I am stable at 42X at (101,102 and103*) 1.08V everything else On Auto

My Plan is to go advance mode and dial all the voltage down to the lowest stable level and work up from there, so some baseline numbers would really help me out

My Build

RX360 (3) 120MM Fans Bottom mounted In Pull

(2) 200MM Pushing air down from the top

(3) 120MM Pushing air in from the front

D5 PWM Fan Tube Resi

Aqua Computer 5XT to control everything.

* Needed 1.1V

** Yes I know these are not the best tool to test with but I don't use Prime95 on this CPU and didn't have ADIA downloaded at the time.

Edited by Belezeebub

Unless you hit throttle temps (95 C) I wouldn't worry about temps. Definitely use Prime95 or LinPack (Intel Burn Test) to verify stability. None of the tests you're running will even come close to getting the whole CPU active...

Looks like you will running positive air pressure in the chassis. My 5960X is a prime 95 and LinPak  stable 4.6Ghz chip and needs almost 1.32v to be stable at that speed. This is running with a ring bus speed of 4340Mhz. If your chip is that good you have a gem. Mine is more of the average variety.  You could try to run the 125Mhz gear ratio instead of 100Mhz and see what you can get.  

I have Positive Pressure in spades I designed it that way right now I can hit 4692 at 1.3V but 68-71C is too high for me. I have heard bad things about Prime95 with the 8 core chips looking for a better test (SAFE) test I can't cook a 1k chip.

There is no better test than Prime95 for testing stability on all cores.

,.. if 65c is max temp you are comfortable with then stay at 42X 1.08V and your done. Having a max temp comfort zone is the only way to be (SAFE) regardless of tests your running when overclocking,.. knowing your chips max Vcore for the tests you run will keep you in your comfort zone.

My comfort zone for testing is 80c and I quickly exceed that running  Prime95 @ 1.27V,.. but I can run HandBreak @ 1.43V,.. you will see running an 8-core chip when utilizing all 8-cores,.. temps are going to go up fast, so always monitor your core temps while testing, I use Real Temp 3.70 https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/mirrors  and abort/stop test when you get over your comfort zone temp,.. then dial things back and re-start.

Good luck and welcom to OCC.

Edited by Braegnok