Not a noob, but not exactly mod-savvy

Fenyx1307

I have computer parts everywhere around my house. I'm used to putting random pieces together and throwing an operating system on it. It hadn't ever occured to me to mod anything though. Hardware or otherwise.

My current project/obsession is unlocking the AMD Athlon II x2 220 that resides in this emachine. It has an Acer motherboard (DA061L-3D) The bios is an AMI version P01-B3 with a core of 8.00.15 made on 08/01/2011.

I'm confident that I've done enough reading to learn that the CPU is of those that can be unlocked to a Phenom II x4 920. So far my main restriction is the bios. Even the advanced tab has limitations and I'm currently investigating it with AMIBCP 3.42, I believe. I'm starting to think the motherboard may be my downfall.

I'm about to start combing your forum for clues.

Anywayz, this is me introducing myself! XD

-Fenyx1307

Welcome,

I don't have a lot of experience overclocking but your cpu looks ok but if the mob is an Emachine I have doubts. The BIOS's on OEM motherboards are pretty limited. They are limited because if overclocking was enabled in the BIOS they would have lots of warranty claims because someone put their voltage to the max possible etc.

Welcome to OCC!

That E-machines proprietary motherboard is most certainly limiting you from al ot of advanced controls and tweaks for your hardware. If you're truly looking to unlock that chip then you'll probably want to find a cheap aftermarket socket am3+ board that will more than likely enable you to do what you're seeking IF that athlon is indeed stable when the two other cores/extra cache are unlocked....Unless there's an unofficial bios you could flash that'd enable these features and others, and this isn't a computer you care about then for the sake of science DO IT!

Thanks guys. I've updated the bios to P0-B5 but there's no difference. I've tried modding it but I can't unlock anything.

I'm still researching. I've thought about putting in the Phenom II X4 920 microcode into the bios since thats what the cpu registers as after its unlocked. Maybe a device or modded driver?

Anywayz, if its possible, it's not gonna be easy apparently.

I think I just need a modded bios with the ACC option.