Windows 10 Anniversary Update

MadMan

First off the anniversary update took well over an hour to complete however I do like some of the changes I have noticed so far.  They did reset my toolbar however that was a quick easy fix.  The start menu is nice now that you don't have to have the icons there and it opens up to what used to be "all programs".  They also added a icon in the system tray for Windows defender which makes it easier to access instead of having to go through Settings to get to it...rarely did update this or run virus checks due to this.  Haven't looked into all the things they did but from what I have noticed I like so far.  Here is an image of the start menu and system icon tray.

J7om4o9.jpg

I've had the update for well over a month now. Quite like the changes it makes, especially since I can just right-click the taskbar and access Settings that way. Seeing my custom lock screen when I log in is nice, too (as are the media controls on it). Still getting used to the Start menu immediately displaying everything, but it makes things easier. Plus with Windows Defender, you can have it work with an already installed anti-virus or anti-malware program to add another layer of protection. Handy right there.

O/K - I stayed up last night and installed the "suggested" Anniversary Edition.

Before I could get it to download, I had to resize my SSD to make the

System Reserve larger - 97gb to 107gb.

The whole process took about an hour (watched the Baylor/Ok St game while I waited).

The changes to the Start Button did introduce some new stuff.

Left mouse button - All Apps are now displayed without having to click on "All Apps" - not sure how I like this

The former Settings and Power are now small icons.

Right mouse button - rearranged - added 2 Command Prompts

The one thing that really angered me about this release is that I lost my Win 7 MS Games

Sometime back I found and downloaded a MS Games install that restored them

Now that does not work. Somebody at MS decided that you simply could not have them

and that you had to go to the MS store to get them. What imbecile decided that this was important?

The MS Store games are crap.

Bye, Bye Majong, Freecell, Solitare and Spider Solitare.

I am still flushing out any and all changes.

It will take a while to see all of the changes.

One thing that was good about this release - I got my DVD drive back.

A past 'upgrade' had trashed it - the Device Manager said it was there

but File Explorer said it was not present. No amount of coaxing and fixes

brought it back

I'll keep using this release and am sure I will find other things

to excite and delight :haha: