x.265 encoding -

Waco

Damn does it get hot.  4.7 GHz 2700K running full bore...I actually had to crank up my fans to stay in the high 60s.  AVX is murder. :lol:  Handbrake, btw.

I have another 120 or so hours of encoding to go, I guess this is a good stability test.  24 hours done so far. :)

EDIT:  Yes, I need moar coars!

I was really expecting to see something like a question about x265, but instead this. Guess I'll just have to ask the questions, what the heck are you trying to encode that would take that long and at what settings? Haven't done too much with x265 lately, since YouTube doesn't accept any h.265 video, but at the speed my laptop's i5-4200U encodes at, that would be a great deal of video if 120 hours was serious. (Yes, I do the longer encoding jobs with my laptop, so my desktop is free to do whatever. That and sometimes FFmpeg crashes my desktop and I've not figured out why yet, or how to fix it.)

83 hours of Lost in Space BluRay rips. :lol:. It's running between 10 and 20 FPS.

I tried to get GPU encoding working but gave up. Shooting for ~2 GB / hour, so far it's around that.

x.264 is easily 5-10 times faster, but the file size is nearly 40% larger for similar quality.

I figure it's a good stability test and I'll figure out the GPU encoding stuff when I have time to muck with it.

Hmm, the difference in speed for me wasn't that great for me when I messed with it. File size was the about the same, but then I was capping the bitrate and targeting quality. Anyway, haven't used Handbrake to do this, but I did figure out how to get NVENC working in FFmpeg. Quality control is a bit difficult currently because not everything is well documented, but I've got a couple examples for it.

One issue for you though is that it was not until GM200 GPUs that NVENC started supporting HEVC, so you'll need to use h.264 for this, unless you've got access to a newer GPU than I see in your sig. If you do have access to a different GPU, just change the h264_nvenc in the examples to hevc_nvenc.

Average bitrate of 7M, max of 10M (and if you don't set buffer size it set's itself to 14M for some reason)

@echo off

set folder=Re-encode

:start
TITLE %folder% - %~n1

if NOT EXIST "%~dp1%folder%" (
mkdir "%~dp1%folder%"
)

ffmpeg -i "%~1" -vf scale=-1:'min(ih,1080)' -c:v h264_nvenc -preset slow ^
-b:v 7M -maxrate 10M -bufsize 10M ^
-c:a copy -movflags faststart "%~dp1%folder%\%~n1.mp4"
::"%~dp1%folder%\%~n1 Final.mkv"

shift

if "%~1"=="" goto end
goto start

:end

::pause

Variable bit rate with target quality between a qp of 16 and a qp of 20 (should be around visually lossless, but you can always lower the values for better quality)

@echo off

set folder=Re-encode

:start
TITLE %folder% - %~n1

if NOT EXIST "%~dp1%folder%" (
mkdir "%~dp1%folder%"
)

ffmpeg -i "%~1" -vf scale=-1:'min(ih,1080)' -c:v h264_nvenc -preset slow ^
-rc vbr_minqp -qmin 16 -qmax 20 ^
-c:a copy -movflags faststart "%~dp1%folder%\%~n1.mp4"

shift

if "%~1"=="" goto end
goto start

:end

Of course x265 will be more bit efficient than NVENC, but I'm sure speed would be valuable here. Also, you can just remove the -preset slow flag if you want. That sets it to the High Quality 2 Pass preset, while the default is High Quality with just one pass.

You need the 6950X or a E5-2683V4

I know I would enjoy something like that. Getting just under 6 FPS currently as one of my Body on Games videos is being worked on now. (To be fair though, it is two video streams coming in, one being colorkeyed and overlayed on the other, and then that and one of the source videos is being re-encoded, so it's not just re-encoding one video stream at a time.)

Oh they look wonderful!  Average size was around 1-2 GB per file (837 GB prior to encoding, 120 GB after) and to my eye essentially indistinguishable from the original BluRay rips.

I'm more surprised my machine stayed stable through the entire run without any drama!  I'm going to dig this weekend, I hope, on getting GPU encoding set up properly with StaxRip.