Need monitor for work and play

ivangela

Hi all,

Looking for a recommendation for a 24inch ish, 2560x1440 for the wife for a stay at home job and of course something for me to play a game or two on at some point.

Currently, would be driven by a 7770 but upgrade is in the near future. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Also want to point out that most 1440p monitors are around 27".  The pixel density is a really nice match.  Going for 24" 1440p is a little extreme.  There's a decent jump in prices from 24" 1080 to 27" 1440 when talking about gaming monitors as well.  Depending on your budget, you might be better off with a 1080 monitor at 24".  Again, really depends on your budget though and how hard set you are on sticking with 24" 1440.

Thanks for the comments.

Well I was thinking in the mid $300 range.

I'll check out that Dell.

Anyone have it?

Others y'all might have experience with?

What's the difference between these guys, except the 24-25 inch size difference and slightly less pixel density?

Is the Ultrasharp a "better" lineup?

The difference in price is only $20

DellU2515H and DellP2416D that Braegnok suggested

Edited by ivangela

The UltraSharps have a better color range, so if you're doing a lot of color sensitive work or just want the best looking colors possible, they're the ones to go for. Pixel density is for sharpness of the image, so the higher the density, the better looking everything is, especially at a distance. Plus the UltraSharp line has more input options, and even a DisplayPort output to daisy chain some together.

I'd go with the U2515H, especially at that price.

I don't think you will be disappointed with ether model,..  three differences I notice are connectivity, P2416D will overclock to 75Hz without skipping, and OSD menu's,.. heads up vs :   http://kagoo.co.uk/pc-monitors/824698/dell-p2416d-vs-dell-u2415-vs-dell-u2515h

U2515H : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

P2416D : https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-p2416d/

Braegnok, as usual, quality info...thanks! BP, you too, thanks!

So the wife likes the look of this ASUS.

Similar cost to the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H that I like and was referenced above.

She likes the selling points of the  1)"frameless design" although to me it looks similar if  not  the same to the Dell and she likes the 2) "ASUS Eye care technology and low blue light" for reduced eye strain. Is this hocus pocus or a legit feature?

In her defense she will probably use it more than me, as she'll be working on it 10 hours a day 4 days a week but I know nothing about monitors and even less about Asus monitors.

On Amazon there are a bajillion reviews and it gets great ratings.

Two particular issues I need addressed:

1) Can i daisy chain the Asus, like the Dell and would I need to have that capability if I wanted to add a second or third monitor down the road. Can't I used the video card for that?

2) Can I hook these guys to a Macbook. That's what she uses, although I might hook it up to my PC. Thunderbolt is like a mini Display port, right, therefor no problems connecting to Macbook air?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again!

Edited by ivangela

You're welcome.

I personally just use f.lux to reduce eye strain. Don't need a specific technology on the monitor, just let the program do its thing.

You can use multiple ASUS monitors together, but they'll be running off the video card and not daisy chained like the Dell allows. Since the Dell has a DisplayPort output, it means it supports daisy chaining, where you just have the monitors plugged into each other instead of the video card. ASUS just has a DisplayPort input, so you'd have to hook up multiple monitors to the video card.

For hooking up to the Macbook, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, since the ASUS doesn't have a Mini DisplayPort. The Dell does, so you'd just need a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable for that one.

You're welcome.

I personally just use f.lux to reduce eye strain. Don't need a specific technology on the monitor, just let the program do its thing.

You can use multiple ASUS monitors together, but they'll be running off the video card and not daisy chained like the Dell allows. Since the Dell has a DisplayPort output, it means it supports daisy chaining, where you just have the monitors plugged into each other instead of the video card. ASUS just has a DisplayPort input, so you'd have to hook up multiple monitors to the video card.

For hooking up to the Macbook, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, since the ASUS doesn't have a Mini DisplayPort. The Dell does, so you'd just need a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable for that one.

Is there an advantage to being able to daisy chain? Like less work for the video card/better card performance.The video card will treat it the same as 2 or 3 monitors? For example an extended desktop?

And on the macbook i would be unable to run multiple monitors unless I could daisy chain, right?

Thanks again.

Daisy chaining is useful on laptops where you're limited to just one DisplayPort. So if you have the ability to do it, you can drive multiple displays off one port. There is a limit with regards to resolutions; bigger the res, the fewer monitors you can daisy chain. On a desktop, you don't need to worry about it as much since video cards can run four or so displays on their own, but on a laptop daisy chaining sees the most benefit. You can have different things open on each monitor to increase productivity, so it's one port that powers two, three, or four daisy chained together.