Need some help and advice with this please

LongBike

Aloha from Hawaii,

I have this ........ MSI 970A 46 MoBo and I was given ... (3 brand new ... Nivida GTX 285 -1GB - DDR 3 , Video Cards. )

I need to know if I can use one of these in my Mobo and will it work OK ?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated. I do not do gaming yet just basic use for this P.C.

The Case is a ... Thermlatake LEVEL10 and Mobo is MSI like stated above.

Aloha and thanks for a reply if any

LongBike

post-142530-0-18336100-1471750725_thumb.jpg

post-142530-0-26804000-1471750778_thumb.jpg

post-142530-0-82493200-1471750794_thumb.jpg

post-142530-0-96498600-1471750806_thumb.jpg

Edited by LongBike

Yes you can use 1 or even 2 of these cards in your system, but the question is why would you want to ? They are older cards that use more power, will put more heat in your system, and do not support the newer version of direct x so even if you did game a lot of the newer games won't work with them. Unless you use programs that might benefit from using this card I wouldn't bother. But, that's JMHO !

They will work but they do indeed suck A LOT of power for the performance they give.  With an 850 watt power supply you won't have any issues though.  You could probably run them in SLI and if they have the blower type heatsink setup (full shroud with 1 fan blowing across the card and out the case) then they won't add much heat to your case.  They do run hot and suck a lot of power though.  If you're not planning on gaming then just use one.  Even a GTX 950 for ~$100 would be more powerful and use a lot less energy.  I still have a GTX 285 and use it mainly just for display purposes in one of my parents' computers.  Works fine but I also added an aftermarket cooler to it years ago because of how hot they run.

Aloha ,

Ok thanks for the replies back folks. The reason I asked is I have this Rig sitting and I scored ... ( 3 free brand new cards for free ).

I just thought that they might work for just everyday use's . Friend here has a part time repair shop and he gave me them to use if

I wanted to use them. These have a full covering on them and the fan at the end of it.

What would be the least best card for just everyday upgrade use ? The wife does not game so I figured she could use the P C.

The case has multiple big case Fans in it because I put them in before. It had a ... ASUS M2N32-SLI MoBo , but died a while back so its been sitting in the corner. Also have ... 4 - Coolermaster   HAF Cases here also with ... Corsair TX750 and TX850 Power Units in them.

Me I like a lot of extra cooling so I'll find another .....Video Card to use for my other one.

One has a .... MSI 970 Gamer / 6300 Black CPU ....MoBo // Coolermaster .. EVO Dual Fan CPU Cooler and big extra in case Fans in it that works great.

Aloha  LongBike

Edited by LongBike

Aloha ,

Well I have been gone couple days and back now.

Thanks for the reply back and it will go for her evryday use for now. Just trollong the internet thats all.

I have added case fans also before in it so it  should run quite cool.

The least best card I meant was just so she could use the ... P C daily for general use's.

Thanks and Aloha ,

LongBike

Edited by LongBike

Try the GTX 285 cards in SLI if your power supply is up to the task?

I don't know the resolution of your monitor but if it's not too high their performance may be enough to play most games at an acceptable FPS?

I still have one 285, x2 9800GTX's and one 760 SC (The other one I gave away). All of which are EVGA's but the point is; I used to have those 285's in tri-sli back in the day. I had a 860 PC power and cooling PSU that powered them. But those cards run HOT!!!!!. So....if you're a general user then I would say, having one card is sufficiant. More than that is overkill for what you want to do. As stated; you will not get good results if you want to play any type of DX12 games. Those 285's are very out dated.

Aloha ,

I have tried this also in my other Rig. It has a ASUS M2n32N-SLI  in it and I put one of the ....GTX 285 cards in it.

I am using a ....  Phlips ...HDMI srs Trusurround H D , Dolby Digital Plus,  HD  >>>> T.V. for a monitor all this time.

OKAY : When I turned the .... P C on with the GTX285 ,  the video Card turned the Screen .... all Green.

Question :

Does this card not agree with the T.V. for use as a Monitor ??

It works with any other card I tried.....  but not this  .... GTX 285 Card. I did not use the adapter plug

harness, just a ...... direct plug in from the ....Power Unit Cables.

Any help on this please ?

Just to diagnose just what is going on and if the card is defective.

The card that was in the ASUS was a very small ......  ( EVGA 610 ) , ....  my wife was using all this time.

I took the GTX out and put the .... 610 back in and it works good with it again.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I do have a GTX 760 in the closet here would this work in the ...... ASUS M2N32-SLI MoBo ??

Would the  GTX 760 also work in a ... MSI 970 like I posted above, because I have a extra .... MoBo also here.

Just to know about it to be sure.

Aloha  LongBike

post-142530-0-39427200-1473148184_thumb.jpg

Edited by LongBike

Aloha ,

OK thanks for the added advice. Just needed to confirm what I have here. So I will look for a .....GTX760 .... for the setup

and see if it goes better for use. I have to ask to make sure I do things right but I can build them but need advice

for here and there things also.

It is decided that she does not want to spend for a big price card so I have to find the best common GTX card for her.

She says the GTX760 will be to expensive for her just daily uses so I have to find out which is economical to suit her.

Women and their decision making.

Aloha  LongBike

Edited by LongBike