Are some brands/manufacturers better quality than others?

TechyBadger

I'm going to be building a couple PC's, and I'm wondering what brands make the best products. A lot of people who voice their opinion seem to have a bias based on their one experience or one faulty product and that's it. So I'm curious if there are any proven facts on what brands are better than others, or if a brand is especially good in building mobos (for example), but not so much with PSUs. I know most brands have their good and their bad products, but are there any universally agreed upon standards?

Yes there are better brands than others. Build quality and customer services is generally the main factors. Brand A may be better than B but if they are horrible customer services for RMA, than whats the point in getting a product that cant be replaced.

There are some brands that constantly make good products and it doesn't matter which model you get, because its always quality. Than you have brands that are hit or miss per series.

I'm not giving any brand names on purpose because reviews do a better job.

I agree with HBC, some manufacturers almost can't make anything but quality while others will have it come and go. It's hard to quantify which makes which because everyone has bad eggs once in a while and many people hold grudges way too much, while others are far too loyal to one brand. You have to be willing to try anything, you sometimes may be surprised the kind of value/quality you can get from certain brands

A fairly long warranty and excellent customer service is normally a good sign towards a good brand. 

Quality with graphics cards can be a bit more subjective, especially with reference boards that are so similar. 
Other parts like power supplies can have a lot more variables that are behind the scenes like performance under load testing, voltage regulation and efficiency etc so its best to check out a few reviews regardless of the brand and its perceived quality.

Find the products you are considering then check out various sites for the customer reviews and read both the good and the bad for problems and customer service responses.

Sometimes the brands change manufactures in the middle of a product run, for better or worse. It is always important to buy from a company with the best customer service and if possible free return shipping. Also, some products start out with bad reviews, but become great products after a software upgrade.

Good Hunting.

Edited by phil69

Like Nyt_Ryda said read reviews of products before you purchase them, actually read the reviews because I have seen a products on Newegg and Amazon with a 3 out of 5 rating and 90% of the bad reviews were from people giving the products bad reviews because of their own stupidity. Browse forums and see if people are having issues with said product and what kind of issues they are having. 

Like Nyt_Ryda said read reviews of products before you purchase them, actually read the reviews because I have seen a products on Newegg and Amazon with a 3 out of 5 rating and 90% of the bad reviews were from people giving the products bad reviews because of their own stupidity. Browse forums and see if people are having issues with said product and what kind of issues they are having.

Golden advice, screw e-tailer reviews. But some Amazon reviews are pretty nicely detailed with pics and all