Core P5: The Black, Chrome and Hardline edition

ghostcorps

My plan is pretty simple: A complete rebuild of the waterloop while migrating to a Thermaltake Core P5, using hardline PETG with almost all new parts (original build here).

No LED lights, no colours or coloured water, just black and chrome and, nickle... and some copper.... tsk tsk.

The actual PC components:

CPU: Coore i7 5930K

MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe

RAM/dimmdrive: 80gb (4*8 +4*16) Corsair Vengeance 2666Mhz

GPU: Asus GTX 980 reference (waiting for the TItan XP to magically appear)

OS Disk: 2x 240gb Intel 535 (RAID1)

Game Disk: 2x 400gb Intel 750 PCIe NVMe (RAID0)

And, to hold it all together

Thermaltake Core P5

GPU: EK FC980 (carried over from current build)

Motherboard: EK FB ASUS X99 mono block

Storage: 2x EK I750

Res: EK X3 400

Tubing: PETG

Fittings: A boatload of EK fittings

Pump: Laing D5 (still going strong) w/ EK pump top

Radiator: 360mm XSPC + 120mm Swiftech (both from the last build)

Fans: 4x Corsair ML120

I am waiting on a few more parts to come in and will hopefully be able to put it together this weekend. But, I fear the PCIe 4x extension cables for the 750s' may even take a couple weeks to arrive from China but hopefully not.

In the meantime I am amusing myself with Sketchup:

*The render below uses models for many parts I am not using, it is just a way for me to get an idea of how to run the line.

post-83502-0-98388500-1470833039_thumb.jpg

Edited by ghostcorps

While I wait for the final parts, I have been playing with the dye. I won't ever use coolants or wetting agents etc. but I am going to dye the water black provided I can find a safe dye.

I've chosen a Nigrosine dye first and made a little video of how it behaves.

I have a sediment test running but I doubt it will settle, it seems very much soluble.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally have everything and spent all weekend building but the last bend was extremely tricky and I used up all my pipe :(  

I have more in the mail and will finish in the next few days but in the meantime, here is a little teaser...

post-83502-0-34692500-1472550835_thumb.jpg

Just curious does watercooling your PCIe SSD's give you any performance gains? Looks like a nice rig overall! Just curious as to any gains from watercooling SSD's...OC em?

I highly doubt I will see any benefit  :teehee:

The 750s come with decent heatsinks to minimise heat throttling and do a good job of it. I also use a Dimm drive when I game so the 750s would barely even warm up.

I just can't help myself when it comes to playing with hardware :P

ps. Dimm drives and NVME PCIe SSDs do very little for your game but for a tech fetishist they spit out some nice numbers. It takes 31 seconds to load my entire Fallout 4 folder with mods (39gb, @18,000files) to the Dimm drive.

I would consider OC'ing the SSDs but, the Dimm drive shows little gain beyond slightly shorter load times so I wouldn't bother. ... though now you have me thinking, it would be a fun experiment.

Edited by ghostcorps

• 3 weeks later...
I have finally finished :)

Unfortunately, I have no storage space left to upload images so here is a boring link to my gallery :(

A few things to note if you attempt something like this: the Thermaltake PCIe riser cables are unstable as hell and often simply relax out of a decent connection. Time will only tell what this may do to my cards but so far tests show no damage despite a rough positioning period.

The heatsinks' on the Intel 750s are very stubborn, be careful but be brave...

I tried to make a video of dying the water but it was a dismal failure lol

Crazy, self destructive hardware aside, I am very happy with it :)
Edited by ghostcorps