How good is my new system....

Assassin X

Hmm. Didn't even realize Sata had different versions. If I recall both HDs are a WD Caviar Green. Only old thing from the old build is my DVD writer, powersupply and the hard drives. The rest is all new parts. 

The whole SATA versions thing is irrelevant for Hard Drives as even the fastest consumer hard drives don't max out Second Gen SATA speeds (SATA 3 or 3Gbps) New drives are built to the SATA 6 Gbps standard, but they don't actually saturate the connection.  SSDs on the other hand have for some time now and even top what SATA 6 can offer now, but for a budget system that's nothing to worry about (No need to spend the money on a PCIe SSD over a SATA one unless you need the best of the best). I would still try to find money for at least a 256GB SSD for the OS and important applications.  I've had solid luck out of the ADATA SP550 and the OCZ Trion 150 lines for currently offered budget models.  You can argue all day long for more expensive SSDs, but the jump from one of these to something like a Samsung 850 EVO isn't noticeable day to day compared to the higher price, at that point I would spend the extra on a bigger version of the cheaper drive.

As for hard drives, sadly the Caviar Greens are performance wise the crappiest and slowest hard drives of their generations, with that said they tend to be reliable and pretty good as far as noise levels so they'll still pair alright with a new SSD.

Already having the PSU makes it not as silly of an option (though it was major overkill to begin with I'm sure as well). I certainly wouldn't go out and buy another already having it on hand from the old system, just if you were guying new it wouldn't be a very good choice.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sata 2 is up to 3 gb speed, Sata3 drives are up to 6gb speeds, that is industry standard. That seagate drive you posted is faster than a normal hd but not near as fast as a proper ssd .

Edited by SpikeSoprano

I would get a SSD and a new HDD too.  Those green WD drives are fine for archives and backups but were never really intended as main pc hard drives.  

I have the Crucial MX200 500gb ssd https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_9?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=mx200+crucial&sprefix=mx200+cru%2Caps%2C231

and a seagate 3tb hdd https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRLY/ref=twister_B01IK59EIA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been really happy with changing over to seagate.  Western digital has changed things and now even their "blue" drives are sometimes only 5400rpm, whereas the seagate drives are 7200rpm.  If you want a good WD drive you need the "black" line. 

You can get a 240gb ssd plus a new 3tb hdd cheaper than that hybrid drive you linked.  Moving folders for docs, pics, etc is super easy and I add a folder for program files and program files (x86) too just to make adding games and programs to the hdd real easy.  

Edited by RedFury77

Avoid the so called Solid State Hybrid Drives.  They only have 8GB of "SSD" and only the tiny bit of what the drive deems important enough to put there will be faster.

I suppose if the budget allows it grabbing a new HDD would be good too, but I would personally spend more cash on a better GPU before I did that upgrade, I know from a pile of experience the WD green drives aren't fast, but they'll do alright when using an SSD for the OS, sure games will load slower off it, but 10 seconds less load time is less important than higher image quality and framerate.  

Also as a side note the mention of the newer WD blue drives being mixed is an important note, the 7200 RPM drives are the traditional mid tier just fine drives, the 5400 RPM ones are in some cases literally the greens re-branded because so many people hate them and the new versions. WD blacks are over priced but good drives. Seagate....we have a love hate relationship, the number of Seagate RMAs I do (side note I run a small PC repair business) is insane, but seem to be dropping with newer drives, with that said I have yet to need to RMA one of the refurbs or had one die "young."  I honestly think HDD reliability is more of a random chance thing these days.

Hmm lots of good info thanks. Anything on sound cards? When I got my parts the guy at the store (a Micro Center) told me my sound card or any sound card isn't really needed today. Didn't make much sense to me though since with my sound card I have tons of options and ports. 

The hybrid he linked was only $105, not sure how he can get a 240gb ssd plus a 3tb hdd cheaper?

I don't know why I thought I saw $200...derp.

If that is the gigabyte mobo, it's supposed to have pretty badass sound, with plenty of ports too.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am having a major problem. My old system had Win 7 installed and my old hardware stuff on it. I now found it after building my PC, it won't start because a preinstalled windows means it won't see the new drivers for the new parts. Is there anyway to get my old HD to see the new drivers somehow so I don't have to buy a new HD to reinstall windows? Like could I boot up my old HD, installed the new motherboard drivers then put it back in the new system and it would run?

I'm really depressed by all this because alot of my stuff is on my old HD. Including documents, chrome links, programs...etc. I really don't want to start fresh. I even tried installing windows over itself but it doesn't work because it still requires me to go into windows which I can't because of the BSOD (because of it not knowing what to do with the new motherboard...etc). Any help? 

Also if all else fails my other problem is the old HD was upgraded from Vista to Win 7 using the upgrade disc. So I can't install Win 7 on a new harddrive since it would require Win Vista first. Which I never got a disk of when I bought the HP computer at the time. It was preinstalled and came with the Win 7 disc a few days later. However I do own another vista from a friend. Would that work?