How good is my new system....

Assassin X

So built a new system (well my friends putting it together this week). This will be the new build. Is it any good? Its the best I could afford for now. Better then my old 8 year old system lol. I would like to get water cooling type stuff but it scares me to much. I don't have money to replace stuff if theres a leak:

-Phantom 410 (Red case)
-Intel i5 Core 6600k Unlocked (Hyper 212 EVO cooler)
-Z170X motherboard
-GeForce GTX 960
-16gb DDR4 memor
-CD/DVD-DL Lightsribe writer
-1200 Watt Antec Power Supply.
-x2 1TB HDs (WD's)
-Win 7
-WoW mourse
-NOW have 8 Fans
-Fatality Sound Card (Sound Blaster)
-Tons of ports

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks decent enough to me.  The power supply is overkill and might cost more in your electric bill, but better to be over than under.  I personally couldn't go without a solid state drive, and think that should be your first upgrade.  But other than that, it's really only you that can answer this question.  Try it out once you have it, and let us know how it feels to you, doing the things you do.

Edited by Fight Game

I agree with Fight Game. Prices on SSD's have gotten much better in the last few years. You can get a 480GB with better performance for the old price of a 120GB . 

Yeah I'll just confirm most of what the others have said, a 1200w PSU is insane for your system, My main rig when running the 290x and 390 in crossfire was only drawing a little over 800w and everything about my system is more power hungry.  You would be more than fine with a 400w.  Something like this EVGA 500w would offer solid value though as a heads up the 600w version is cheaper out the door if you don't do rebates.  Come to think of it Antec doesn't currently offer a 1200w PSU (in the US at least) so if you're buying it now it's sure to be an older design, and if you already had it coming from another build then by all means use it.

I would very much take that saved cash and grab a solid state drive, even if it's only a cheap 240GB for the OS and essentials you will like that performance boost.  Also unless you plan to do something like a RAID 1 setup (and I can't think of a good reason for that in the case) grabbing a single 2TB drive would generally offer better value than two 1TBs.

As for motherboard you don't list a full model number and google leads me to a rather pricey Gigabyte board, and while I have no doubts it would be a great board, if you wanted to trim the budget spending $150 on a board vs $200 would certainly help.

Great CPU cooler choice for the value, it won't get you a record braking overclock but you'll be much better off than most other coolers at the price point.

Thanks for the advice and replies. 

Could the power supply be costing alot per month to run because its so high? If its enough (like an extra $10 a month) I may buy a smaller one just to save some money. 

I never realized SSD was a thing. For some reason I thought having SATA cables meant HDs were SSD. Brain injury at work there lol. Do SSDs have less issue or last longer? Seems like every few years I have to buy a new hard drive because my old ones "fitness" level goes down over time. 

I agree with the above posts, any 400 to 600 watt brand name psu would be fine and cheaper to buy, also a 2tb hd is cheaper than 2x1 tbs, unless your using 1 as a backup for the other, also an ssd makes a big speed difference and the newer ones seem to have a long lifetime, otherwise it will still be a kickass system .

Could the power supply be costing alot per month to run because its so high? If its enough (like an extra $10 a month) I may buy a smaller one just to save some money. 

The exact cost variation will vary on the exact PSU and how efficient it is with low loads. Most newer models are designed with lower power draw in mind and efficiency doesn't drop too much, however many older designs the efficiency "sweet spot" was around 50-80% load and those are number you'll never hit with this system meaning it would waste more power.  You wont really notice it month to month but I can't imagine you bought a 1200w Antec branded PSU recently for less than triple the EVGA I linked would cost and that IS noticeable. If you're worried about future upgrades keep in mind that the highest power draw GPU in OCC's most recent GPU review was @ 401w for the ENTIRE system with the GTX 1080 @ ~310w so you would still have plenty headroom.  

SSD stands for solid state drive and is the drive itself. It has nothing to do with what types of cables or interface is used. They are incredibly fast, sometimes a thousand times faster than an old spinning drive. And since the hard drive is typically the slowest part of your system, it's very noticeable. The whole system will just seem more responsive and anything that says "loading" will benefit greatly.

Ok thanks.

A SSD sounds amazing. Its so slow currently when I transfer things from one HD to the other. Is there a way to move both HDs data onto the SSD? I really don't want to do a  fresh install of my OS or anything. 

What exactly are you buying new and what are you using from the old system, if your using the older hd's they would be sata2 , if they are new they will be sata 3. which are much faster for file transfer, the mb if new would be sata3, also if the ssd has room for the data you can transfer it but a fresh install of windows is much better than cloning the os, then just transfer your data or reload your most used programs to the ssd and leave your data on the mechanical hd.

Hmm. Didn't even realize Sata had different versions. If I recall both HDs are a WD Caviar Green. Only old thing from the old build is my DVD writer, powersupply and the hard drives. The rest is all new parts. I think I got them in 2011 and at the time they system requirements only went to Win 7 or 8. Since then the one drive (primary C) is at 95% fitness. And the other (D) which I mainly use for downloads and other data is at 91% fitness. Using Speedfan thats what it says at least for the S.M.A.R.T.

It's not the drive that's sata2 or 3, its the interface.  Over the years there have been small performance increases, and I'm sure the manufacturers probably marketed some as sata2 or 3.  But the drives still pretty much had the same cache, rpm, delay, and transfer speeds.

Those drives sound good for storage.  I personally don't have much experience in copying an OS to another drive.  I prefer to start fresh, especially considering the speed of an install today.