CPU Fan spinning, but with no reading.

alyusha

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I just noticed that my CPUFAN1 (actual heat sink fan) said RPM 0 in MSI Command Center, I looked in the case and it was spinning and the temperature is fine, but still reads 0 RPM. Figuring it was a glitch with the program, I checked CPUID, and a CPUFAN is missing. The used to display and show a vaild RPM in both programs. Now it is missing and reading 0 RPM. Still I look in the case, and it is spinning. 

I tried several restarts, tried shutting down and moving the heat sink from CPUFAN1 to CPUFAN2 and it still spins, but now reads CPUFAN2 = 0 RPM. 

This fan and heat sink is the generic Intel Skylake one and is on its way to be replaced, but for the time being it scares me that the cpu will not get the range of cooling it needs if the fan has power, but no way to be controlled. 

EDIT: Setting the fan to manual mode and changing the speed does nothing.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

P.S. In the screen shot you will see CORE0 under CPU Frequencies that it is set at 42 and checked... Is this how it should be (I do not have, nor want anything overclocked right now)? Or should it read 4.0 like the rest?

Heres a  screen shot.

34nmxci.jpg

Edited by alyusha

That's not the correct reading. The fan is not showing up in cpuid at all. No matter which header I move it to on the MOBO, the fan reads 0 rpm or is just missing.

The fan still spins and keeps the cpu temps just fine, but it is a little scary because I feel that if a sensor is dead, the system can't really know when to increase speeds.

When first starting up the pc, the fan kicks into high gear and slows to a steady spin. I am thinking (or hoping) it's just the fan it's self. But I guess I hope even more that I may have tripped something so ewhere.

Also note that any fan I plug into cpufan1 makes cpufan1 read a valid rpm. Just not my actual cpu fan..

If this is the case then the sensor on your one fan might be bad/have a loose connection.  You've just proven the actual CPU FAN header still works since it was able to give a reading with another fan plugged in.

Try pushing the wires up into the female connector on your CPU FAN.  I recently had a fan I received that would randomly stop spinning and when I checked the female connector I noticed the one wire was sitting a little further down than the others.  Pushing the wires up fixed my issue with this fan and the same thing *could* be happening with the wire that's supposed to be giving a reading on your CPU FAN.  If it's still spinning but not giving a reading it's probably running at 100% and that's why cooling isn't an issue.  Still, you would obviously want it to adjust speeds depending on heat because there's no point in making the fan spin 100% all the time if it doesn't have to.

Also note that any fan I plug into cpufan1 makes cpufan1 read a valid rpm. Just not my actual cpu fan..

If this is the case then the sensor on your one fan might be bad/have a loose connection.  You've just proven the actual CPU FAN header still works since it was able to give a reading with another fan plugged in.

Try pushing the wires up into the female connector on your CPU FAN.  I recently had a fan I received that would randomly stop spinning and when I checked the female connector I noticed the one wire was sitting a little further down than the others.  Pushing the wires up fixed my issue with this fan and the same thing *could* be happening with the wire that's supposed to be giving a reading on your CPU FAN.  If it's still spinning but not giving a reading it's probably running at 100% and that's why cooling isn't an issue.  Still, you would obviously want it to adjust speeds depending on heat because there's no point in making the fan spin 100% all the time if it doesn't have to.

This is what I'm thinking also and will give it a try when I get home. Either way, the whole thing is about to be replaced for water cooling, but meantime I don't like pushing it if I don't know that it can cool itself properly.

If you start up something stressful does it spin faster (watching/listening to it). Most boards use PWM along with temperature to vary fan speed, not the tach/RPM signal.

If you start up something stressful does it spin faster (watching/listening to it). Most boards use PWM along with temperature to vary fan speed, not the tach/RPM signal.

I could not notice a difference while doing a stress test on the cpu at 100% load. Temp got up to 71c and averaged 65c. When I first power up, the fan sounds like an airplane and then slows down.

71 C is no problem on a 6700K.  Honestly, it's pretty hard to damage anything these days.  I've run systems without any cooling at all (just an empty waterblock, the vacuum system failed) and they'll throttle to hell, but they won't be damaged.