gtx980ti vs gtx1070

Hello again,

I finally build my htpc system in a fractal design node 202, using my old gtx 760 until I saved enough to buy a new gpu.

The time has now come, but the choice is not as easy as I thought it would be.

Back when I searched the parts they said the 1070 would sell for 370 dollars, or 350 euros. In reality they 

all cost above 500 euros, I'm not to thrilled with nvidia's marketing play. 

So my question is, whether I should buy a used gtx980ti or go for the 1070. The good aftermarket ones sell for about 370 euros and the prices are still dropping. I know the 

1070 is a bit faster, cooler and more efficient, but I don't want to pay 30 percent more for less than 10 percent gain in performance. The only thing 

holding me back is the heat the 980ti radiates, will it be to much for my small case to handle? There is room for 2 120mil fans underneath, if necessary.

I currently use dual 1080p monitors, obviously only one for gaming. Down the road I might go for a 1444p g-sync monitor, but by then the gpu landscape will probably be totaly different.

This begs another question, wouldn't it be better to buy a rx480 and later upgrade the gpu when I switch to wqhd? Sadly the card hasn't been reviewed yet here at oc, but a quick search

showed that it would be adequate for games on full hd. I don't know what new gpu's will come out and when, so is it a good idea to wait or is right now a good time to buy, without the 

gpu being eclipsed by a lower tier card (like the 980ti was)

Your imput would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what would be best and it is going to be a long time until i upgrade again (except maybe for the gpu in case of rx480)

For those wondering, my pc uses a skylake i5 6500, and a 500 watt sfx psu. 

Regards,

Wolf

If it were me, I would go for the 980ti as it is cheaper and, for the most part, equal or better than the 1070

There are several YouTube videos about gtx 980ti vs gtx 1070.

Here is one of them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-SZfBkxNc

Many games show little or no frame rate difference.

If you are just doing business apps or perusing the WEB then spending $$$ on a 970 makes little sense.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the link, that cleared up a few baised reviews on the net. Never thought the 980 would actually beat the 1070. The rx480 costs only 100 euros less and has almost half the performance,

so the 980 would be the clear winner. Will my 500 watt psu be sufficient to handle the 980 with overclocks? I looked at the thermal load and with an extra pair of 

fans the case should be able to handle the heat, no problems there. 

EDIT a 980ti would be to much, a lot of power draw and apparantly it cant keep a 980 from trotheling, I doupt the 2 exrta fans will make much difference. The rx 480 it will be, then. Thanks for clearing out what 

I needed

Edited by Wolfrider

You did not specify what MB, memory, HD, SSD, etc that you are running.

To do what you want you will need a 750w at least.

S/B able to find one on Craigsist or eBay cheap.

Just NO, NO NO NO NO NO.  

What is it with people thinking you need a 700w+ PSU to run anything? A 980 Ti and the i5 he listed should use around 350w give or take a bit.  In NO WAY will a good 500w PSU have troubles with such a setup and if he goes with the RX 480 plan it uses even less power.  Hell MY system pulls just over 800w from the wall under load with WAY more power hungry cards and will run on a 750w PSU (barely)

As for cooling in that case, the 980 and above might be a little harder to cool, but if you grab a blower style card there's a good chance it would do fine (the main issue is the re-circulation of air and they exhaust the heat vs keeping it in the case).  Of course those cards don't tend to OC as well as the cooler maxes out sooner, BUT they tend to be cheaper (assuming we ignore the "founders" crap nvidia's doing now)

Just NO, NO NO NO NO NO.  

What is it with people thinking you need a 700w+ PSU to run anything? A 980 Ti and the i5 he listed should use around 350w give or take a bit.  In NO WAY will a good 500w PSU have troubles with such a setup and if he goes with the RX 480 plan it uses even less power.  Hell MY system pulls just over 800w from the wall under load with WAY more power hungry cards and will run on a 750w PSU (barely)

As for cooling in that case, the 980 and above might be a little harder to cool, but if you grab a blower style card there's a good chance it would do fine (the main issue is the re-circulation of air and they exhaust the heat vs keeping it in the case).  Of course those cards don't tend to OC as well as the cooler maxes out sooner, BUT they tend to be cheaper (assuming we ignore the "founders" crap nvidia's doing now)

I only suggested a 750W because he is using a PSU that he has had for awhile and I have absolutely no idea ass to its true rating. You are right that total draw will be about 350W. However, if you start adding peripherals then the power draw goes up fast. And if his PSU is not at least Gold rated then he might have power issues. Just trying to avoid future problems. Also, a PSU with more power than you require will run much cooler and last longer. The stats prove that out.

I only suggested a 750W because he is using a PSU that he has had for awhile and I have absolutely no idea ass to its true rating. You are right that total draw will be about 350W. However, if you start adding peripherals then the power draw goes up fast. And if his PSU is not at least Gold rated then he might have power issues. Just trying to avoid future problems. Also, a PSU with more power than you require will run much cooler and last longer. The stats prove that out.

1. I'll be honest, could be an older PSU, but being a 500w SFX there are very few on the market that would have trouble pushing 350w even if nearing death, in any case buying NEW similar spec new supply would be a wiser choice if you're worried about old PSUs vs finding one on craigslist.  And again we're talking SFX PSU so they aren't exactly flooding the market with only a few brands even offering them in "higher" (>400) wattage until recently.

2. It's a small case with an SFX PSU, unless a company has done it recently 700w is the biggest he could put in it, not to mention it has a ~$170 pricetag.

3. The vast majority of a system's power draw will come from the CPU and GPU, suggesting a need for MORE THAN DOUBLE what a base system using those components IN MY OPINION is bad advice and would only serve to waste Wolfrider's money especially factoring in no place in the case to PUT many extras.

4. Gold rating has absolutely nothing to do with the PSU being able to output the rated wattage, only how efficient the conversion of the AC power to DC will be.

5. IF the smaller PSU was being heavily stressed, then you have an argument for decreased life. However a 500w running <400w load should have no trouble, now my 750w when it was running my main rig, that's another story.

I'm not trying to pick on you about this, it's just I read over these types of comments recommending WAY more PSU than someone needs all over the internet. When it's not an issue of budget it doesn't bother me, a 750w PSU will run a system using 200w just fine. However, when the recommendation needlessly adds $170 (and honestly him being in the EU probably more that) and zero performance to a user's budget where "I don't want to pay 30 percent more for less than 10 percent gain in performance." was in the original post it kinda bothers me.  A lot of that comes from me being the poor high school kind doing this starting out getting into overclocking back in the day to a point in my life between jobs after being laid-off trying to make ends meet.  Anyway enough of the rant, moving on.

With blower style cooler do you mean the reference design like the 680 has? I have one liying around as I was going to flash it and put in a mac pro, but later sold it without the card. Maybe that'll give me an idea of the temperatures.

As for the PSU its a sharkoon Silentstorm, with 80 plus gold. If nessescary I could replace it with a Corsair SF600, the most powerfull SFC psu here in Germany, but at a net loss of around 60 euros, for only a 100 watt gain. My psu is less than a year old, so I rather not switch it. In the debate of gpu, the 980 is the same price (used) as the rx480, so with a blower style cooler it would not induce thermal throttle? My rx 480 is ordered, but I can still return it, the 980 has better performance but in the review of the node 202 they used a asus strix 980 and the temps where of the charts;

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/screen-shot-2015-09-01-at-11-35-09-pm-png.67729/

quote from the review: "Our reference video card, the Asus GTX 980, fit comfortably in the Node 202, but under synthetic load (two threads of Prime95 plus FurMark stability test), the GPU core heated up excessively, causing it throttle clock speeds until it reached only ~90% of its normal power target, even with the fans blowing at full speed. These components should pull more than 300W from the wall but power topped out at under 270W. The CPU fan had its work cut out for it, requiring top speed just to keep the processor under 70

Edited by Wolfrider