msi zh77a-g43 uefi/secure boot problems installing 1070

Been having problems with the above setup. The card is an ASUS turbo gtx 1070 with a seasonic 520w which according to the card should be up to spec. When I turn on the system nothing happens; no gpu fan, no cpu fan, nadda. There is however a light on the video card which seems to indicate that it's getting power.

The problem, I think, might be like I said in the title, but I can't seem to find a way to disable secure boot or go into legacy mode. If anyone has any advice on how to do that or just has a better idea of what the problem could be I'd appreciate the advice.

Looking at what you've posted here it looks like you're upgrading an older system.  Assuming you're running a CPU with integrated graphics (to those confused yes some 1155 CPUs lacked iGPUs) I would try pulling out the GTX 1070 and seeing if the system goes back to working.  If so make sure the PCI-E slot is clean and clear (dust may have fallen in when previous card was removed etc) put the card back in and try again.

520w should be more than enough for even an i7 and the 1070 so shouldn't be a problem there. CPU fans not spinning and such make me wonder if you might have bumped the wires going to the on/off switch on the motherboard and maybe they aren't making contact when you hit the power button so that's something to check.  You could try removing the system form the case and and starting with minimal hardware (MB/CPU/PSU/one stick of ram) and then adding things back until it stops working (assuming that fixes it).

You may need a BIOS/UEFI update as some boards will do crazy things with newer video cards, but considering the slight risk of turning a motherboard into a paperweight if the flash goes wrong I like to save that one for last most of the time unless the manufacture addresses the problem specifically in an update.

Shouldn't be secure boot causing it as you're not getting fan spin up, secure boot could stop you from getting into windows and in many cases BIOS but the fans SHOULD still spin up. 

EDIT: Looking at MSI's website Bios version 1.6 has "Auto select UEFI/Legacy mode by VBIOS & system BIOS." listed and if you're running an older version could be the issue.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/ZH77AG43.html#down-bios

Edited by cchalogamer

cchalogamer has some good ideas. Not sure what your setup was before but i suggest to go back to the way it was since it booted before (assuming). If you using Win8 or 10 you want secure boot let on.

No spinning up of the CPU or GPU fan tells me the board isn't even getting past the initial boot. Check your cables to make sure its all connected or if something is shorting. Even if you disconnected the video card power, the fan would still spin up and the CPU would also.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up cc. I forgot to mention in the original post that it does indeed have integrated (on the board) and it spins up fine with the same psu without the card and with the card that I was originally using, though that card (radeon 7850) had a 6 pin connector. I haven't updated the bios in a while so I may have to give that a try or just pulling the entire thing out of the case and running it without any potential for shorts....but that'll be for tomorrow.

Hope that this isn't a BIOS issue because MSI hasn't released an updated BIOS for that motherboard in a while  :(

I remember reading in another forum (same video card but different motherboard) that the OP had a SATA-E device connected.  He ran through all hoops trying to figure out why the PC wouldn't boot.  Spare power supply, latest BIOS, all connectors secure etc. 

Turned out that the SATA-E device was causing some sort of lane conflict preventing the system from booting.  He disconnected the SATA-E device and everything started working correctly.

So you might try a bare bones approach and see if it boots.  Disconnect all accessory externals / internals, just basically leave your CPU, memory, OS hard drive, keyboard and mouse and see if she will boot.  Then start adding stuff back on one by one.

I would update the bios to the newest and see if that solves the issue. If it fan spins up with integrated graphics but not with the video card, than the board is indeed not getting past the initial boot up.

I tested it without plugging in the power to the card and it would still spin up. So, since I have a modular psu and have an extra 6+2 pin, I was able to replace it and now we're in bussiness. :thumbsup: Again, thanks for all the help.