Tim Sweeney Claims Microsoft is Using Windows 10 to Slowly Break Steam

CheeseMan42

In a recent interview, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney has reiterated his earlier belief that Microsoft is planning to use Windows 10 and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) to hamper the performance of Steam on PCs. Sweeney believes that this will be accomplished over a period of several years by slowly convincing developers and customers to move to the UWP. This will be combined with patching Windows 10 to "make Steam progressively worse and more broken," increasing the appeal of the Windows Store. I can't imagine that Valve will just sit idly by and let its platform become irrelevant, but as Microsoft controls the Windows OS it is certainly concerning.

Source: WCCF Tech

Back to original news post

Anyone who pays attention knows how bad Microsoft Support really is. As a former software/hardware guru (still active at 72), I can attest to MS tech responses which make absolutely no sense. When asked a question the response always seems to be totally inane - as if a bunch of MS guys sat around and dreamed up an answer to confuse the user. Said MS response not only did not make sense, it frequently went off on some other, often used, 'canned' response.

Now, compare MS to Steam. Steam has a terrific support center. If you can not find a FAQ that covers your problem, you can post a question which is almost always answered on the same day. And. the response usually answers your question.

I understand that the average PC user is not PC tech savey. But the guys/gals that do gaming, and join WEB sites like OCC, better understand why the PC does what it does.and will not put up with shoddy MS support. I also understand that MS wants to dominate anything and everything PC. Frequently the do so at the expense of the PC user. I, for one, will never buy a PC game from MS. Past experience has taught me that once bitten, I do not want to suffer the the same fate again.

Just a humble opinion. :teehee:

Ultimately developers still decide which UWP features they adopt,.. if they adopt UWP at all,.. and where there software is distributed.

Microsoft execs, seem to have a habit of saying the wrong things and needing to clarify things way too often. :P  

Edited by Braegnok