Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration (wired)

I did some research on Comodo ZoneAlarm, there is an uninstaller tool.   https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html#post_id6

There are four drivers Comodo ZoneAlarm installs on Windows,.. VirtualBox: Support driver, Host-Only Network Adapter driver, Bridged Networking driver, and USB Monitor driver.

Simply uninstalling Comodo ZoneAlarm does not properly remove the VirtualBox drivers.

To properly uninstall, delete, or remove these files do the following :

Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

Once in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\, find and remove these five files:

vboxdrv.sys

vboxnetadp.sys

vboxnetlt.sys

vboxusbmon.sys

vboxusb.sys

Take note that, since you already removed Comodo ZoneAlarm, you may not have all five of these files. Delete whichever ones that are there.

Close the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ window.

Open Registry Editor (regedit). In regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MECHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\, look for five folders :

VBoxDrv

VBoxNetAdp

VBoxNetFit

VBoxUSBMon

VBoxUSB

Right-click each of these folders and click Delete. Once again you may not find all five folders since you uninstalled Comodo ZoneAlarm. Delete whichever ones you find.

Close regedit, Restart your computer.

Edit: If after removing the VBOX files, drivers you still have issues,.. I would just do a clean install of Windows 7 and be done with it!

Edited by Braegnok

Good info Brae.

Danny - after performing the above procedures, open Regedit again and navigate to the following key;

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\WinSock2\Parameters\Protocol_Catalog9\Catalog_Entries\000000000008]

Copy and paste your key information and post it here.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

What do you mean exactly by "reinstalling" router? I've unplugged/reset it a few times, but no luck. But I don't think it can be a hardware issue, as the router works fine on Windows 10.

Thanks, 

Sorry for the confusion,.. I was not thinking about loose connections,.. was referring to any netgear software on the Windows 7 OS and or netgear router in Device Manager on W7 OS. Something seems corrupted or is disallowed/blocked. "check current firewall settings". The free firewall (Comodo? Zone Alarm) could have altered your TCP/IP registry keys from there original configuration,.. or corrupted the log files,.. so your basically uninstalling and reinstalling everything,.. network adapter & driver, router & driver and all Netgear software that's on W7 OS,.. then resetting TCP/IP settings,.. as everything was working fine till you removed free firewall. System Restore may work also,.. if you have a restore point listed prior to installing free firewall.

• 1 month later...

Assuming there is a DHCP server running on the router for ip addresses, and you are properly connected via ethernet cable. 

I would try these steps 

1. Make sure the ethernet interface is enabled. On both the pc and router.

2.Make sure the ip settings as seen above is set to " obtain ip address automatically ".

3. Open the command prompt and type , "ipconfig /release " this will revoke any ip address currently assigned.

4. Lastly issue the "ipconfig /renew" command to get a new ipaddress from the router's DHCP server.

To verify  issue the "ipconfig" command and that will show you the ethernet ports ip address and gateway. 

If successful try ping googles dns server "ping 8.8.8.8"

Hopefully this helps. 

Just realized this post was from 2016 LOL. 

Edited by nerdeire