Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration (wired)

Hello,

Have an infuriating problem at the moment. I have a dual-boot set up with Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, and a Netgear N300 (DGN2200v3) modem router but wired-up. Using Windows 10 I can get connect to the internet but not with Windows 7 - which is my primary system, with everything setup and configured the way I like it, and so on. I lost my W7 connection when I uninstalled a free firewall (Comodo? ZoneAlarm?) which was causing me problems.

Now, when I diagnose the problem, I get the message: 'Local Area Connection 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration" (also had messages about "verify local network adapter" and "reset the local area connection"). Under 'Network connection' settings, it says my broadband is "disconnected" - but when I click 'connect', it whirls around for quite a long time then I always get a message about "the modem has reported an error ... Error 651".

Naturally, I've Googled around - and looked at the existing threads on this very forum about this problem - but so far nothing has worked. Any ideas?

My Specs are: Intel Core2 Duo E6750 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ 4gb Corsair Twin2X2048 XMS Xtreme Performance (800mhz) \ Gigabyte Windforce GTX660 2GB OC \ Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer \ Corsair HX 620w PSU \ Samsung SpinPoint 2TB \ Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer \ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro \ Samsung Writemaster SH-S223Q \ Acer 24" X243H 

Thanks,

DANNY O'DARE 

Welcome to OCC,.. It could be a driver issue with W7 or your router,.. update/install drivers for network adapters, Ethernet controllers.

Then open W7 OS and go to Netgear Support  https://my.netgear.com/registration/login.aspx ,.. register, sign-in, download/install router drivers. Then run the Netgear Connection Setup Wizard.

Edited by Braegnok

If all else fails, open Network Adapter properties and configure IP settings manually.  Toss DHCP and manually assign a static IP address within the IP address range allowed by your router.

Set primary and secondary DNS server addresses, save configuration changes and exit.

How do I go about configuring IP settings manually?

At the moment, nothing is working. I always get the same messages: "Unidentified network - public network", "no internet access", "Rest the Local Area Connection 2", "Local Area Connection 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and "Error 651".

Driving me nuts!

Error 651 is driver/hardware issue,.. if your still getting "verify local network adapter" or "reset local area connection" after updating network adapter driver and router driver,.. try uninstalling/reinstalling router.

And if still having issues after reinstalling router,.. then I would try resetting TCP/IP settings,.. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

Edited by Braegnok

Sorry for the confusion,.. I was not thinking about loose connections,.. was referring to any netgear software on the Windows 7 OS  and or netgear router in Device Manager on W7 OS.

Something seems corrupted or is disallowed/blocked. "check current firewall settings".

The free firewall (Comodo? Zone Alarm) could have altered your TCP/IP registry keys from there original configuration,.. or corrupted the log files,.. so your basically uninstalling and reinstalling everything,.. network adapter & driver, router & driver and all Netgear software that's on W7 OS,.. then resetting TCP/IP settings,.. as everything was working fine till you removed free firewall.

System Restore may work also,.. if you have a restore point listed prior to installing free firewall.

Edited by Braegnok

We at least know the hardware itself is fine, and it's just a matter of figuring out what software is breaking it.

How do I go about configuring IP settings manually?

At the moment, nothing is working. I always get the same messages: "Unidentified network - public network", "no internet access", "Rest the Local Area Connection 2", "Local Area Connection 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and "Error 651".

Driving me nuts!

I doubt you'll actually need to set them manually, but maybe clear any info added by the removed program(s)

If you click on the start button, then start typing "view network connections" it should give you an option with that label.  Click on it and you get a list of your PC's network adapters.  IF you have more than the number of physical connections (Wired and Wireless) that your PC has, one of those may be causing the issues (if so chances are it would be named similar to the firewall program you removed) and right clicking and disabling it may fix the issue.  Assuming that's not the case right click on the connection that you are using and choose properties.  A menu will pop up, find "Internet Protocol Version 4" in the list and select it, followed by properties below and see if it's set to auto for IP and DNS (chances are it should be).  Double check with your Windows 10 install (same instructions should work though of course menus are slightly different) and see how it's setup. You can right click and choose status back on the View Network Connections screen followed by the details button to see how the connection is currently setup your IP addresses listed should generally be similar to 192.168.xxx.xxx for most home networks, mine are listed as 10.0.0.xxx because that's how my network is custom setup. Here's a screenshot of mine as a reference.

ZpJjrF5.png

All this can be done using the command line as mentioned in a link above, but this is generally a bit more user friendly for a beginner to check.

You don't have any real need for "router software" to be installed, all router configuration can be done by logging into it directly once you know the router's IP (Look at the default gateway in the details tab of the WORKING connection if you want to know).  

Something else you may want to try is downloading the win 7 network drivers for you network adapter then uninstalling it under device manager and reinstalling with the newly downloaded driver (or the one off your motherboard's driver CD/DVD) and seeing if that fixes it. 

No luck on any of that, I'm afraid. The command prompt did nothing ('netsh'), I have no System Restore points, and I never installed any router software, etc. Everything ends up at the same point - ie, when I view my connections, I get always this:

Broadband connection - 'Disconnected'

Local Area Connection - 'Network cable unplugged'

Local Area Connection 2 - 'Unidentified Network'.

Alas, I cannot log-in to my router, as I always get timed out. But, as I've said before, everything is fine on Windows 10.

Very frustrating! 

DANNY

Edited by itsonlydanny

Silly question, have you tried the other LAN port? I may have overlooked it if you have and you mentioned it before, but if it's an adapter configuration issue that may bypass it, though that board has two of the same Realtek LAN adapter so not so much if driver level issues. Worth a try if you haven't anyway.

When you looked at the connection properties was there anything different between the two OS versions? If so manually setting the Win 7 install to be the same as 10 could fix it. If at all possible post a screenshot of the status details for the windows 10 machine and we can see if it's using anything "non standard" for the connection.

Also, do you have ANY security/anti malware/antivirus/firewall/etc software installed? If so try removing it, and in the case of many try using their removal tools (for example Symantec has the Norton Removal Tool that cleans up after the uninstaller) including for any you've already uninstalled.  I've seen several situations in the past with security software "breaking" and giving this symptom so worth a shot.

You could try turning off the windows firewall (or on if it's off for some reason)

Could try reinstalling the LAN driver using the one direct from Realtek http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=4&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=truejust grab the Windows 7 one near the top.

Just a few more ideas on what to try, no clue without being able to see the machine and see what it's actually doing.

Could be, there's just so many "possible" network things and considering it started with the removal of a firewall program I keep thinking back to it being some simple thing the program reconfigured to work but didn't change back properly.