memory & MB recommendations

How important is it that the memory be on the recommend MB list? Does it have to match to the letter

to guarantee that it run a its listed speeds? I purchased a slower ram only because it was the only one I

could find that matched to the exact number/letter

Edited by dling

Not much of an issue unless it extremely high speeds. I wouldn't even worry unless you are running 8 Dimms or 1.4v. Companies like G.SKill have a QVL list on their website for each kit they have tested.

Yeah I can count the number of times I've run into memory comparability issues on consumer level motherboards on one finger, now servers and high end workstations can be a little more insane on what they will and wont work with.

Memory is like life - it keep changing and improving. And, no MB manufacturer can keep up with all of the changes.

Any good mem will work in any consumer MB. You should think about activating XMP in the BIOS as it allows the

BIOS to use the actual Ram setting. Saves headaches. If you do not use XMP then if you want to use a faster RAM, then

you will have to set the speed manually. Using XMP does not mean that you will always be using the max speed of the

memory you bought. If the MB can not handle it, the BIOS will set to what it can handle.

Even better Amazon has the 3200 kit for $149.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196QN2NU/?tag=extension-kb-20

As far as performance, not that big of a deal for most things, you get lower voltage with the "slower" ram, so honestly you could just kick voltage up and set it faster 99% of the time anyway.

side note, I"m running this kit as it was the best value when I bought mine (and a lot more expensive than it is now) and it has no issues if I want to kick up voltage hitting higher speeds.

Edited by cchalogamer

How important is it that the memory be on the recommend MB list? Does it have to match to the letter

to guarantee that it run a its listed speeds? I purchased a slower ram only because it was the only one I

could find that matched to the exact number/letter

Wow Dling...........  Your question floored me.  You're almost an old timer and you should know better  :)

Price, performance, customer service and warranty.  

I like to buy fast memory because it usually gives you a lot of flexibility in speed, timings and voltage to perfectly (or almost perfectly) hit the sweet spot.  But I never even look at the QVL from the motherboard or memory maker.