Question: Wear on a CPU and its "etching"

I am looking to buy a used i7 6700K and the seller has this to say about it:

"etching on processor worn down a bit though, but is a 6700K)

My concern is not it being what they say it is, I am concerned because they make it seem like the cpu and heat sink didn't have proper contact?

So could they be mistaking thermal paste for a light screen of missing numbers and letter? Is the information on the top of this CPU even etched on? Or printed? Either way, is it common for it to become worn away over any amount of time in an appropriate environment?

Thanks!

Edited by alyusha

Need to be careful buying used K-chips online,.. could be someone just simply lapped the chip, or could be chip was burnt and cleaned up. You never can tell how much vcore was put to it or was it used with LN2,.. basically if chip has any imperfections on surface, I would be concerned of abuse and look for other seller.

Edited by Braegnok

Yeah.. I don't know. They said They built the PC for a friend who changed their mind before it was done and it was only used to test and such. So I went ahead and took their word. Got an i7 6700k, MSI m5, 16 GB of gskill 2133 ram, heat sink and fan and a 120 GB Samsung m.2 SSD for $369.  So I guess if it is not what they say it is, I will raise hell and get my money back.

Thanks for the reply!

yeah boot that cpu up and check what it is in CPU-z. than run prime95 to make sure it's stable at stock. It should never crash at stock speeds. you basically got a whole computer for the cost of the cpu. seems strange the person would give you a deal like that.

yeah boot that cpu up and check what it is in CPU-z. than run prime95 to make sure it's stable at stock. It should never crash at stock speeds. you basically got a whole computer for the cost of the cpu. seems strange the person would give you a deal like that.

Well.. This is the best I have now. Obviously it could be a picture of a computer set up at bed bath and beyond.. But this is what I have to go off of until it arrives and I get the other parts to assemble it.

2gv4nys.jpg

Well all you will need to boot it would be a psu and monitor, so I would breadboard boot it as soon as you can to verify what it is, the longer you wait the less chance to get your money back if there is a problem. Good luck on the purchace !

I've seen a few OEM CPUs where the thermal compound made them really hard to read (really not sure how they get paste so crappy some times), but very few where it wasn't something I could make out.  It's certainly possible the story checks out (I know I've bought some good deals when people decided they just didn't want something) but I would be VERY cautious and I hope you paid with something like paypal with buyer protection. Like others have said, test it ASAP and go from there. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was of course skeptical. I did pay with Paypal, so I will get my money back no matter what is going on here. I have gotten every part of the PC, except the GPU, but that should be here Wednesday. The person seemed pretty reputable, so I honestly was not thinking any sort of scam, just was not sure how the etching would be worn. But I guess we shall see! 

Wow. The phrase "too good to be true" comes to mind.

That seller must have no clue what their parts were worth. They should have easily asked for $500+ on that. The CPU and m.2 alone are worth easily $400, even used. You got a hell of a deal - I hope it works out for you. If you purchased on ebay, you should have no issue in fighting, if it doesn't turn out to be legit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

To me it almost seems like someones drug dealer wasn't getting paid so they took this as collateral and wanted to simply get what was owed not actually what it was worth lol

Well, I got everything. Got it all put together and I can not find any issues. Everything has matched up and passed multiple stress tests. \

I don't know 100% of everything to look for, but everything is passing, and my temps seem alright. Idle around 26-28 c and under normal use, about 45-50 and while under 100% load during stress test, it got up to 70. Seem ok?