How do I format a Micro SD Card that won't let me?

Assassin X

Hopefully this is in the right section. So recently I got my wife a bigger Micro SD card for her phone (LG Volt, Android OS). With the old Micro SD card I went to format it on the computer and it said it was write protected and I had to release the protective switch. Which isn't even flipped to lock to begin with. I tried anyways just to test and still it won't let me format it. Any other way to format this card or am I stuck with stuff on it forever? 

• 2 weeks later...

So since I was here last now I think maybe its a software issue or something. I tried delete photos from another SD card on my Canon camera and no matter what I do it says its write protected too. I've toggled the lock switch, I've tried diffrent SD slots. I even tried a SD/USB drive thing and still no luck. Is this a software or setting issue on my computer?

Are you trying to format it through disk management or just right clicking > Format through file Explorer?

I was having a similar issue with a hard drive and I was able to completely wipe it through disk management.

Well I tried formatting it through the normal method as you said (right click drive, format). I also downloaded a program called "SD Formatter" and that didn't work either.  I even took a blank SD Card I had laying around, put some data on it and tried formatting but it still didn't wouldn't do it. 

What size is the new SD card you're trying to format?  

I pulled up the LG Volt specs. and they say that microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB is largest supported. If you are trying to format a larger SD card while in the phone, that might explain why that is failing.  No real idea why it won't format on your PC though.

If you are using 32Gb or smaller SD card, you should be able to install it in the phone, power on, then go to;

Settings > More > Storage

And you should have an option to erase the SD card (which will format the card).

Not sure what version of Android you're running but I'm assuming 4.4..................

If that doesn't work, you might try formatting via the stock recovery (but again, not sure if that option is available in stock recovery - or if you're even running stock recovery).

I was able to reformat the sdcard on the phone. But whatever I did with it on the PC before seems to have messed up the ability to reformat any SD card now. I even restarted thej computer thinking it was some temporary issue.

Ah I forgot about that. I'll try. 

Hmm still didn't work. I also tried the reformat tool through the "disk management" on the computer. Its doing it to all 3 of my sd cards (only one is from a phone). It won't let me even delete the files or scandisk or anything. If it helps one is a 2GB Toshiba and the other is a 4GB Verbatim. 

• 2 weeks later...