looking to upgrade

I want to upgrade my system to a more current one. Any suggestions for a new build. I plan on getting the new 1080 ti when its released .

Im afraid that my current system may be to slow to make use of the full potential of the card.

Whatever you get will be a large step up. If you want to move up and stay with the extreme series a 5930 and X99 motherboard will surely handle your plans. Although there are concerns about even a 6950X coming up a little short when running multiple Pascal GPU's  

The i7-5930K @ 4.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz is hard to beat for the price.

The i7-4790 is the fastest quad core,.. but they tend to run a bit warm @ 4.6Ghz.

6-core vs 4-core running DX12. GTX 980,..  http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/4

Edited by Braegnok

This chart shows that a 4 core is equal to and sometimes better then the 6 corers. I states that the other two cores are not even being used due to the lack of need.

If i see and read this correctly.

The i7-5930K @ 4.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz is hard to beat for the price.

The i7-4790 is the fastest quad core,.. but they tend to run a bit warm @ 4.6Ghz.

6-core vs 4-core running DX12. Pre-Pascal,..  http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/4

Edited by dling

This chart shows that a 4 core is equal to and sometimes better then the 6 corers. I states that the other two cores are not even being used due to the lack of need.

://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/4

Correct, running DX12 if no CPU core is bottlenecked,.. then CPU performance is driven by IPC/Clock.

So the fewer core chip will be slightly faster at the same clocks when GPU limited, due to minute savings within the OS scheduler.

So I'm looking at the 17 6700k. How would that be if I upgrade to the gtx 1080ti.also looking for a good oc,er. I only pairing it with an asus x99 deluxe or Saber tooth MB.

Edited by dling

The i7 6700k would be nice upgrade from your current rig,.. would be 1151 motherboard. I have not seen any dx12 benchmarks running pascal yet.

So l'm kinda guessing the 6-core chip most likely will scale better than quad core running Pascal.

Edited by Braegnok

OK .Ive decided to go with the i7 5920k and the and considering the Asus sabertooth MB. Any thoughts

on the choice  of MB as well as a good mem to help get the highest clocks speeds.

Thanks.