Core i7 990X @ 4.4 Ghz, will it bottleneck a GTX 1080 @ 1440p 144hz?

Hello everyone,

It's been a long long time since I last started a thread in this forum smile.gif

I will be parting with my i7 4930k rig in July. At 1st my plan would be to upgrade to X99 platform with a GTX 1080. However, this is cut short because I need to adjust my budget for a new car. So I have to choose between a new motherboard + CPU + RAM or a new graphic card.

With my old GTX 285 being irrelevant and I heard that the new Kaby lake will use a different platform (unconfirmed of course), I decided to go for a GTX 1080 with a water block on it (just my hobby, I know the performance gain isn't worth it), and I will use my brother's old rig, an i7 990x@ 4.4 Ghz on a asus WS-E motherboard.

I game at 1440p and 100-120 fps. My question is, will an i7-990X @ 4.4 ghz, along with PCIE 2.0 bottleneck a GTX 1080 at that resolution and framerate?

Sorry for the long post people, looking forward to your suggestions smile.gif

P/S: I know a GTX 1080 is not really an upgrade from my GTX 780 ti SLI, but I'm done with SLI banghead.gif and yes, I am aware that AMD vega is around the corner (rumor of October release); BUT I need to enjoy my gaming life right now before it's over by next summer (going to med school and getting married frown.gif )

Edited by nhanphan1990

Thanks for your input guys. I was worried about the weak(er) single core performance of the 990x conpared to the current generation, and on top of that, is the bandwith limitation of the pcie 2.0

Well, I think I gotta try it out to confirm then. Hopefully with DX12 games will start using more cores effectively