Gtx 1080

dling

I have been shopping this card. I need some intervention. What can I expect to gain over my current system? I received an email from evga that the card was in Stock but when I went to the site they were gone. Talk me off the ledge, or I'm going to jump.

gain over SLI 980s? Besides a single card, lower power and 2gb extra of vram, not much. Your 980s might be slightly faster than a stock 1080.

The only major benefit I could see is the single card appeal. Not all games play well with SLI. Or games that require more than 4gb of vram for 4k gaming.

Thanks for the reply. I would be giving the 980's to my son and selling his sli evga 970s if I do this. I have purchased 600 hundred dollar vga cards without seeing the gains I hoped for. I hope I can avoid pulling the trigger. I feel like a crackhead ,I can't seem to stop.

Upgrading your sons rig first with single GTX 1080 and selling the SLI 970's would be your best option today,.. then waiting for 1080Ti release to upgrade your rig. 

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/204629-gigabyte-g1-gaming-gtx-1080-2152mhz/

Go watch the two BF4 videos and watch the fps, remember that you have cards that are slightly faster than mine without the ability to dim the lights and put the wallet away (My cards are both running stock for this, the 1080 is OCed).  Honestly I'm thinking more and more I'm going to hold off on buying until the Ti variant we all know will be coming is released. 

As far as upgrading my son to the 1080,I don't love him that much. The 980's from my rig is the max amount of love I can do ;). The u tube video was interesting. My cards do ok for the most part. Gamer.the numbers that were in the bottom of the RH corner of the bf4 game were they stats for the game or hi and low of fps?