"CPU fan has failed" (false error?)

So I bought a OVERsized CPU cooler years ago for my CPU. This one to be exact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220062&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Cooling-_-N82E16835220062&gclid=CKjjzpOomM0CFYwkgQodzM8IuQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well I have two fans in it as recommended. It should be noted I have never shut off my computer. At most I've put it in hibernation mode on rare occasions. No counting when theres a power outage. Well yesterday to be safe during a bad looking storm I shut my computer off. Woke up and turned it on and it said "CPU fan has failed" and shut off. I tried again and got the same response. Mind you the fans worked fine when it said this. So I tiled the tower on its side and gently pressed on the cooler (pushed towards the CPU). Turned it back on and it started fine. 

So is this some random error? Maybe not enough CPU compound stuff? Maybe it was just a cold morning and thats why? In the past I remember a friend had the issue and someone said something about a setting in the BIOS which they could turn off so it would ignore the CPU fan error. Though I can't seem to access my BIOS no matter what F key I hit. 

Well. He answerED that. 

But regarding the fan. I have a theory of computer components. I call it "Friendly hardware components".

Sometimes, componenets work together so so much time together they become inseparable friends. This is the case of the FAN and the rest of components. Once you dismantle or turn the PC off, they get sad (somehow). Then when you try to go back normal operation they won't work in the first time. They will do it eventually.

I wonder for how long (months or years) that PC ran without stop. Clearly when PC shutted of components loose touch.

Edited by Fragsman

• 1 month later...

Ok since this I spent some time trying to find out what my bios was (name) so I could update it. Turns out I still am not 100% sure, even after using tools that autodetect it. Maybe because it started out as a HP desktop? So I did find some bios update but online 99% of people said if you use the update when you restart your computer it goes to a black screen and theres no fix for it other then to use a restore disk. 

The fan issue still isn't fixed. I tried accessing fan settings in my BIOS but there is not any. I even looked online to see where it is on youtube, but mine apparently doesn't have the option. Probably why I need the update, which I can't use. So guess for now I am stuck leaving the desktop on forever to avoid the error. 

If it helps my CPU fan is essentially the same as this one (bigger I think). Has the giant heatsink, fans...etc. They both work so not sure why it gives that error. Maybe I need new thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink? I'm just worried if that will work since I've used thermal paste 3 times in the past (diffrent heat sinks). 
http://www.pcwizkidstechtalk.com/images/stories/pcwizkid/evercool-transformer-4-plus-cpu-cooler.jpg

Ok since this I spent some time trying to find out what my bios was (name) so I could update it. Turns out I still am not 100% sure, even after using tools that autodetect it. Maybe because it started out as a HP desktop? So I did find some bios update but online 99% of people said if you use the update when you restart your computer it goes to a black screen and theres no fix for it other then to use a restore disk. 

The fan issue still isn't fixed. I tried accessing fan settings in my BIOS but there is not any. I even looked online to see where it is on youtube, but mine apparently doesn't have the option. Probably why I need the update, which I can't use. So guess for now I am stuck leaving the desktop on forever to avoid the error. 

If it helps my CPU fan is essentially the same as this one (bigger I think). Has the giant heatsink, fans...etc. They both work so not sure why it gives that error. Maybe I need new thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink? I'm just worried if that will work since I've used thermal paste 3 times in the past (diffrent heat sinks). 

http://www.pcwizkidstechtalk.com/images/stories/pcwizkid/evercool-transformer-4-plus-cpu-cooler.jpg

If it was originally an HP computer there will not be any options like that, most OEMs use a very limited bios so the end user can't mess things up too bad. Especially on their lower end stuff.

this is a common safety feature on older OEM motherboards, they require a fan with resistance to always be plugged in to the CPU fan power pin on the motherboard

if you build your own computer or buy an aftermarket motherboard usually this won't be on default

Ah figures. I was never good with motherboards so its the only part I didn't know how to use, so I bought a new pc, then scrapped most of what was inside and added my won stuff. Expensive and stupid I know. Well next time I'll pay someone to build me one with what I have so I won't have this fan issue. Such ashame.