recent Windows 10 install.....problems with shut-down

nice_shoes

I recently have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but now I have noticed that the desktop computer does not appear to shut down completely. Here is what is happening:

1. from the Windows 10 start menu I select "Power"
  2. a box pops up with 3 choices: Sleep, Shutdown, or Restart
  3. I select Shutdown and the computer appears to shut down
  4. When I return to the computer, if I hit any key on the keyboard, the computer now performs POST and then starts Windows

This seems like the computer had gone into hibernation, rather than a shutdown. It seems to me that after a "Shut down" you should be required to hit the Power button to start the computer. Am I missing something here? What is going on?

The power mode must be set to put the pc to sleep or hibernate when you hit shutdown, you should be able to fix this in power options, as I won't use w10 I'M not familiar as to how to get into that setting ! Google will tell you how to do it.

Hey Nice Shoes.  By default Windows 10 installs with the "Fast Startup" option enabled.  Accordingly, when you choose "shutdown" the PC isn't actually completely powering down.  It is going into a hybrid sleep/hibernation/standby mode.

You can disable the "Fast Startup" option by following the instructions here;

Enable-Disable Fast Startup

Or Google same to find a better tutorial to your liking.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Wevsspot...............your diagnosis was right on the mark. I followed the tutorial and now the computer is behaving the way that I want it to behave.

Issue solved. Thanks for the help.

YW.  Sorry for the late reply.  Glad that you got it sorted.