Somewhat new to overclocking. Want to OC 980 Ti Classified.

So I am new to OC. I want to play Witcher 3 at 4k and not drop too many settings. How do I OC the 980 Ti? I am already using EVGA Precision 16 with agressive fan curve. Ok so I got a stable OC of 1454 core and 4257 memory. My Heaven score went from 914 to 1015. Not bad.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

Looks like you are already doing it. You cannot really damage Nvidia cards anymore from an over clock because of the limits Nvidia puts in the bios. You can still crash if you set the core to high but you don't have to worry about voltage limits since its locked in the bios.

What I do is run heaven in window mode and raise the memory to the highest it can until it crashes. Than I repeat for the core. Once I found the limits of both I set it 10-20mhz lower and run it again. That's the short way to find you max stable oc.

The highest I've seen is 1550 on the core on stock bios. Not very common so 1450 isn't bad at all.

The disclaimer is that any overclocking/overvolting will shorten the life of your product and result in a possible clock speed degradation or outright failure.

That being said I have only killed 3 cards in the past 9 years. One I swear was DOA out of the box, One that was flakey from the moment I put it in and the other just failed on a reboot after some no over voltage overclocking. 

I have my voltage increased by +15%. This card is made for overclocking so I'm sure its warrantied. Is 100 points in a benchmark worth the possible adverse effects of an OC?

Edited by AllYourF0rt

It was the Evga kingpin under water. So that might be a bit of the factor lol. +15% is fine. thats like .30mv. I think some evga cards allows up to .50mv but thats the limit that companies feel safely allowing uses to do out of the box.

Coca is of course right. ANY overclock can damage or degrade a card / shorten its life. Those factors can include heat related death or cheaply used parts. I think since you are using a EVGA classified you are completely fine and even covered under warranty if the card was to die with the 3 years its covered.

Nvidia bios control (aka Boost) didn't start until the 600/700 series so its still new concept to veterans of overclocking.