AMD Possibly Facing Issues with Polaris 10/11 and Radeon Technologies Group?

bp9801

Over the weekend, AMD is going to show off its upcoming Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 cards ahead of a public debut on May 31. AMD hasn't invited certain sites to the weekend event, such as OCC and HardOCP, which could show it's extremely selective in its choices, much like withholding R9 Nano cards from sites at launch. The new Polaris 10/11 cards are expected to use the 14nm FinFET process, slightly smaller than NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 1080 and 1070 cards on the 16nm FinFET process, but there are some early rumors about an issue with the performance levels. It seems the new AMD cards run both hotter and slower than NVIDIA's Pascal line, with AMD blindsided by what NVIDIA has up its sleeve. If the performance really is below the GTX 1080 and 1070, and maybe around the same level as the current R300 cards, AMD has a big issue to deal with. Pricing the Polaris 10/11 cards far below NVIDIA's will help solve some of it, but not all if the performance increase is marginal for the cost.

However, the potentially poor performance of the Polaris 10/11 cards is only one part of the problems AMD is facing. There is some rumbling inside and outside of AMD that Raja Koduri, head of the Radeon Technologies Group (RTG), wants to split off from AMD and become ATI once again. Koduri managed to take over RTG during the last transitional changes at AMD after he threatened to leave and go to Intel. Lisa Su, the new CEO taking over from Rory Read, agreed to let Koduri lead RTG and stay with the company. Their relationship still seems strained, with Koduri now apparently wanting to splinter RTG away from AMD, turn itself back into ATI (in essence if not in name), and directly compete with NVIDIA. Once that's done, Koduri could then sell RTG over to another company, such as Intel. RTG is already supplying Apple with the parts for the new Macbook, with the main goal to become the GPU tech supplier for Intel.

Intel is going through a shakeup of its own, with a massive round of layoffs expected to hit this year. Some of these positions will likely be graphics engineers and similar jobs, which would seem fitting if RTG wants to eventually join with Intel. If this happens, I don't think Intel will get a massive GPU boost since RTG isn't what it was when it was ATI. Ten years ago, sure, this would be a massive coup for Intel, but right now it just seems like folly. RTG could be withholding tech from AMD and its APUs, if there really is a disconnect between Koduri and Su, and then really knock things out of the park with Intel. Or it could just be hoping to splinter off, back some big bucks from a buyout, and then screw over Intel.

Time will tell what happens and just what kind of performance we get out of the Polaris 10/11 cards.

Source: HardOCP

Back to original news post

At the AMD Polaris Tech Day Event, reviewers are signing NDA paper as they arrive. The NDA date expires on 29th June for Polaris GPU's,.. and there is a lot of new RADEON logo at event, which may confirm speculation that AMD is indeed replacing it's old logo.

Guest Guest

Total bs article, no facts to support any statements made. Nvidia fan boy spankbank material.

Total bs article, no facts to support any statements made. Nvidia fan boy spankbank material.

Reporting on rumors is what it is. Don't be a fanboy for anyone and it's a lot easier.

Guest Guest

This isn't even a rumor. It's garbage. The main goal of selling graphics chips to Apple is to become the GPU tech supplier for Intel? Yeesh. Oh and Koduri can't just take RTG and go off on his own. He doesn't own it.

Complete garbage. Kyle Bennett has always been various degrees of butthurt over the years, it's no wonder they don't like him.

I mean they intentionally made a smaller mass-market chip. That wasn't an accident. Yet he makes it sound like they built the fastest most powerful chip they could and whoops somehow we ended up with a smaller core. That's not how it works. They built a smaller less expensive chip for the center of the market and mobile. They knew Nvidia would make big performance gains in the top end of the market. They weren't caught by surprise - they started off this gen with a mainstream play. Seriously man, you're daft.

Guest Guest

Lets call this for what it really is, OCC is salty cause they're not invited.

The last time AMD pulled something like this, the results speak for themselves. I'm hopeful AMD has something great up their sleeves, but honestly, over promising and under delivering are par for the course for them recently. :(

Fingers crossed for Zen.

No lets not call it that!

It has been that way over the past few launches and eventually we see the products AMD has to offer. Whether we see them as review samples or purchase it to post a review for comparative purposes. AMD just got picky about who they want presenting their message.  

If honesty is not "fair" then how does that benefit you the consumer? What if I told everyone that the product was the next best thing since sliced bread and when you bought it you were more than"salty" because I sugar coated the concerns? 

I grew up with AMD and ATI products as the backbone of my systems. Why? because they offered a tremendous amount of value and for the price they were at least comparable in performance. Now its a tough sell on the CPU side and the GPU side seems like they try really hard but just cannot hit the target. I am really hoping that the numbers in the link above are not true. Again Why? Because there always needs to be competition in the market place. If the performance metrics are true in the link above then AMD missed the target on raw FPS performance. I can only hope that the drop to the 14nm node shows significant reductions in power consumption and heat.