Modem/Router NOOB ?'s

Utmost

Hi folks!

So I've have always just rented a modem and router from my local Comcast pals, but I am moving shortly and think I want to invest in a modem and router or combo as we have more and more devices eating bandwidth and my lovely teen daughter keeps flipping out about league of legends lag or something.  I'll be moving to an area with Charter Communications services advertised as up to 60 mbps* 

I have NO IDEA what kind of hardware I can purchase to either increase speeds, or signal strength. 

Please advise!

Also I'll get pics of up the lovely case I won form the holiday party once move and migration is done)

While NORMALLY I would be all for you buying a modem, if you go to charter's website and search around a bit you'll find this:

As a Spectrum Internet customer, you are offered a compliant modem without any additional charge when you subscribe to a New Pricing and Packaging service tier. You may also choose to buy a modem that is certified by Charter to work with your internet service.

Kinda seems silly to buy one if they charge you the same either way.  Now, as for the router that's going to depend on where it's being used, number of devices, if they also provide free routers with the package you're looking at etc.  

Sounds like there is a $5/month charge for wifi from them. I assume this is for a modem/router.

It's a 2500 sq ft house. Modem will be on lower level with these running on wifi ,

4 phone

Xbox 1

Wii

1 gaming desktop

1 web surf laptop

Roku streaming stick

2 iPads

Then I'll have my gaming rig wired in.

I guess I've just read that provided hardware can "throttle" speeds. I guess I'll just see how it goes then decide. Just wanted to start shopping around in case ;)

While NORMALLY I would be all for you buying a modem, if you go to charter's website and search around a bit you'll find this:

As a Spectrum Internet customer, you are offered a compliant modem without any additional charge when you subscribe to a New Pricing and Packaging service tier. You may also choose to buy a modem that is certified by Charter to work with your internet service.

Kinda seems silly to buy one if they charge you the same either way.  Now, as for the router that's going to depend on where it's being used, number of devices, if they also provide free routers with the package you're looking at etc.  

Because 99% of the time the hardware they offer you is the cheapest pile of junk they can find. 

Because 99% of the time the hardware they offer you is the cheapest pile of junk they can find. 

Can be, but from the Charter customers I know personally they all got pretty good equipment (certainly better than what TWC passes out around here) but that could vary by region.  

I would buy a router and try their modem if it was me, if you have any issues you can always grab a modem later .  would always split the router/modem and avoid the "all in one" solution as my history leans towards routers being less of a long term item and needing replacement due to issues/wanting better signal speed/coverage before the modem actually needs and upgrade.

Can be, but from the Charter customers I know personally they all got pretty good equipment (certainly better than what TWC passes out around here) but that could vary by region.  

I would buy a router and try their modem if it was me, if you have any issues you can always grab a modem later .  would always split the router/modem and avoid the "all in one" solution as my history leans towards routers being less of a long term item and needing replacement due to issues/wanting better signal speed/coverage before the modem actually needs and upgrade.

:withstupid: Get a good router and get the "free" modem

Good stuff folks, ty!

I see that fir modems they need to be compatible with Charter. Does the same hold true for routers?

As a side note, the people we are buying the house from haven't given charter a disconnect notice yet so we can't even schedule installation. Totally sucks cause they could be out a couple weeks. No GoT spoilers please!