OCed 2500K finally starting to show it's age?

Over the past six months I have been noticing a lot of newer games aren't performing so well on my current system and I'm wondering if it's time for an upgrade. When playing Witcher 3, GTA V, AC:Syndicate, and Just Cause 3 I get stuttering at certain locations and occasionally inconsistent fps depending on where I am or what I'm doing. Looking at monitoring software I notice that my CPU is at 100% constantly and my GPU load is only ~60-80%. Could this be a result of the CPU bottlenecking my GPU? Shouldn't my GPU be running @100% in most scenarios? I have googled around and seen some instances of people having the same issue on the Sandy processors with current games, but other times people say they only have 30-40% CPU load when running the same games on this CPU. So I am confused if something is up with my system or the people reporting the lower usage are looking while tabbed out and the game is minimized or something. At the moment as I write this post my CPU load is 2-4% with only Firefox open so it's not a case of something running in the background while I play games. It's also not an overheating issue as my CPU never exceeds 60C and my GPU never goes over 65C. So the question is, does my inconsistent performance on newer games stem from the age of my system or is there something else going on?

-Current system-

2500K @4.5

Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3

16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600

GTX970

500GB 850 EVO SSD

1TB WD Black

850w Gold PSU

I was debating on upgrading to Skylake and thought I would ask around to see if it's worth it given my current build and situation. If I did upgrade, I would just buy the proc, a new mobo, and ram, then recycle the rest of the system since it's all fairly new from upgrading over the past couple years. I would also hold onto the 970 until Nvidia releases their Pascal cards and see what they have to offer, or grab a 980ti if the price came down. The newer Intel procs coming out this summer are for the X99 chipset, right? I was always looking forward to the Skylake line and planned on upgrading to it, but so many people seemed underwhelmed when it released that I just held onto what I have. But now I'm starting to get that itch for an upgrade since my rig just doesn't seem to hold up like it used to. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on my situation and help me decide on upgrading or hanging on for another cycle.

What resolution? It could be many things, but those games are pretty CPU heavy, so you might just be seeing games taking advantage of all 4 threads.

Does over clocking more help? Does it hurt performance drastically if you return to stock?