help me figure out my build issues

Hey guys, upgrading my rig with the following: 

-MSI msi z170a xpower titanium edition mobo

-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3400 (PC4 27200)

-intel 6700k

-512mb M2 NVME Samsung 950pro

-evga 980 gpu

So popped everything together, and the first thing bios shows me is that an 'overclock could not be applied' and that I need to put default settings and go into bios.. I never even put in any oc'ing paramaters, it was the first boot!

Anyway, go into the bios, turn on XMP (it recognized my memory), turn off the MSi auto overclock, setup a boot priority, and then restart saving changes

Bios won't post and it wouldn't do anything until i turned off XMP, and then also all oc-off

Then I could finally progress to windows installation in bone stock. Fine, so I do that, windows installs, I restart it, and then it can't find windows. Uh, now things look really weird. So i try to reinstall and it installs it but everytime it restarts it wants to reinstall windows. Finally, now it won't even load up windows without giving an installation error, and no option to even format or do anything. 

I then go into the bios and get the latest bios drivers and flash it. Maybe it was a old bios related issue not seeing my ram or liking it, etc. Nothing. Same issues. 

So, how should I go bout trouble shooting this? 

First time i'm running into such large-scale issues, don't know how to isolate it. Would really appreciate any advice. 

The first thing to do is get it posting with default settings and update the BIOS. You are going to need to tweak some settings most likely to get your DIMMS to post at at 3400Mhz.  You will want to check and manually set your DRAM voltage, Check the TRFC settings( May have to boost it up and over 400 to get a post with modified XMP settings) and see what you get. You may have to boost the System Agent and or VCCIO voltage to pull off 64GB on your chip.

thanks so much for the advice, I wasn't aware that I needed to pump the voltage to just run 64gb at xmp profile.. I'll check it out and revert. Thanks again!

Edited by spikespiegel

alright, some late night tinkering and took your advice + checked out some vids to reveal good values for the memory voltage and speed settings. Right now at 3200 speeds at upped the DRAM voltage and it stabilized and got rid of ALL my issues. I was able to make a straight jump to 4.5ghz too, stable so far! 

So went from completely not working to a good solution. Running on 32gb, now going to try 64gb first, and then jump to the full 3400mhz and see whats up!

Thanks for the feedback, def steered me in the right direction!

ok latest findings. I'm stable at 4.7ghz however the biggest issue is that no matter what, 64gb on this mobo isn't flying. 32gb and all is well. SOon as the other 32gb is dropped, the comp wont post. 

Kind of bummed about it, not sure whether I should return and try the gskill tridents (i'm running the 16x4  ripjaws series V right now). . i'm also on MSI's latest bios. Any ideas? 

Try scrolling through your motherboards OC Memory Support https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM-EDITION.html#support-ocmem and look for,.. SS single side or DS double side modules which ever your 4X16GB kit is,.. look for Size 16GB,.. and confirm DIMM 4 listed,.. then manually set your modules up to a listed 4X16GB kit spec,.. speed, voltage, timings. And see if you can get stable running your 16GB modules full slots. 

Edit : Looks like running your 3400 4X16GB G.SKILL kit,.. @ 2666, 1.2V, 15-15-15-35 is an option worth trying.

Edited by Braegnok

The first thing you want to do is to not OC the CPU until you get your memory stable. If you look at all the big memory overclocks out there they are running either sub zero cooling on the DRAM and CPU or running the CPU on air and close to stock speed. I understand you are looking to try and just run the XMP profile to start with.

Set the XMP profiles then go into the memory sub timings section of the Click BIOS.  Bump your TRFC in the memory sub timings section to 420, then set your System agent voltage at 1.15 and VCCIO at 1.10 to start.  Your DRAM voltage should be 1.35v but you can tweak it a bit higher.  Leave your CPU at stock speeds and do not adjust any voltages. 

The thing to remember is that the higher you adjust the ring bus and CPU frequency the lower speeds the memory controller can handle without an increase in applied voltage. Even at stock speeds more memory at higher speeds is a challenge.  In my gaming test rig I am running the CPU at 4500Mhz 1 to 1 with the ring bus at 3414Mhz on my 3400Mhz rated 16gb kit.  

Thanks for the feedback guys. @Ccokeman, i didn't see teh options for system agent voltage and VCCIO for some reason. The TRFC was at 560 already, so not sure if 420 would have helped?

Basically, i've tried to down clock the RAM speeds but no matter how  much lower I make it or even upping the voltage to 1.380 for DRAM, its just not accepting 48gb or 64gb.. I would rather stay at 32gb and keep the speeds at 3200 with a 4.7ghz clock than slow down the speeds for more RAM.

I do need RAM usage for editing /rendering purposes, so i'm sort of torn haha. I'm also thinking about returning this 64gb kit and settling for a 32gb kit. Would you guys have an advice on what to get for that? 

I'm also curious if its a mobo related issue and If I should try a ASus ROG to solve this..

Go into the click bios under the overclocking section. Make sure you have a tflash drive in a USb port then hit F12 to take a screen shot of the options. If you look at this screen shot it should be fairly similar to what you are seeing . The CPU SA voltage and  CPU IO voltage would be the ones you are looking for. See the bottom of the screen shot. 

215.jpg

Thanks ccokeman, is your advice about changing values on trfc and SA voltage to help accommodate the 64gb of ram? I'm running at 32gb and 4.7ghz stable at the moment .. Would these values you suggested help run the entire memory kit at 64gb? My solution was to order another motherboard that I liked (Gigabyte) and see how it plays wi/ the 64gb ram, and also to see what sort of oc I get..Thanks again