WhenKittensATK

xqdiJXhl.jpg

Developer: Pearl Abyss
Publisher: Daum Games (KOR / NA / EU)
Platform: PC
Release Date: 03/03/16 (NA/EU)
Genre: MMO Sandbox RPG

Useful Links
http://blackdesertfoundry.com/(General Information / Guides)
http://tinyurl.com/hpzv9ct(How to enable Steam Overlay)
http://tinyurl.com/gpl9a7l(Google Doc of Houses)

I was a bit skeptical when I pre-ordered this for $50 without ever playing it, but it turned out pretty well. This game is probably the most fun I ever had in a Korean MMO. Although it does have some shortcomings such as the expensive cash shop that does offer minor stat bonuses. The voice acting and writing at times are poorly done. The NPC introductions and quest cut-scenes are fully voiced. Most regular interactions they may say one-liners relevant to the text or something random. The classes are gender locked and the NA/EU build is not up-to-date with the Korean version. The first 24 hours were a mix of confusion and excitement. The game tries to teach you all the features, but you'll find yourself constantly googling how to do things.

I have two characters a level 16 Warrior and level 14 Sorceress. I haven't focusing on leveling. I've spent most of my time doing fishing, trade runs, managing workers/node/housing, and the amity mini-game. It's really a sandbox game and it doesn't seem to be level restricted, although certain things would be easier with access to higher level content. Currently I'm working towards building the tier 2 fishing boat, which is a bit of a grind but achievable. The fishing mini-game is pretty fun. You can also AFK-Fish/Farm. 

The combat system is similar to a fighting game like Street Fighter or Vindictus. Most classes require specific key combinations to use their moves, so you aren't using the 1-9 hotkey buttons very often. I only use the 1-9 hotkey to use potions or change equipment. You can also combo moves together. The starter AI mobs are kinda dumb and basically just stand there. Several attacks do like a mini-stun effect so that could be why. I've heard mid level mobs are much more active in trying to kill you however, level 20+.

At a $30 entry-level this game is worth trying out if you liked ArcheAge or just want a game that is a slight change of pace. I could go rambling on, but it would be better to check out some online guides and videos.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished crafting the fishing boat 1-2 weeks ago. It's faster than the raft, but its still pretty darn slow. Thankfully the game has auto-pathing so you just set a waypoint and hit auto-run.

Fishing hotspot outside of Velia http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647921497

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Which server are you on? I'll create a character there

UPDATE: Looks like i can move character from one server to another. Thats neat

Edited by That_Guy

Server: Edan

Channel: Velia E1

Family Name: Kaput_Committee

Character Name: Tuebor

----------

Daum Games today announced that Black Desert Online will be expanded with the huge Mediah region, tons of new quests, fierce bosses, and more as early as tomorrow, March 30. With the Mediah Expansion, players can rise to new levels of power and achieve greatness like never before.

From tranquil farmsteads to busy ports where tradesmen thrive, Mediah will enchant both newcomers and seasoned travelers. Take a look at the beautiful new vistas in an all-new trailer.

Players can access the Mediah Expansion starting tomorrow at no additional cost.

Mediah Expansion Features:

+ World size increased by 30%
+ Over 1,000 new quests
+ Kzarka - An enormous boss that can take on hundreds of players at a time
+ New guild missions, including special bosses that drop formidable weapons
+ Crimson Battlefield - Instanced 40v40 skirmishes that players can queue for in groups of five or solo
+ New weapons and more powerful armor set
+ Craftable Alchemy Stones allow players to apply Attack, Defense, or Life bonuses to their equipment
+ Equipment can be enchanted to higher levels

Edited by WhenKittensATK
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Server: Edan

Channel: Velia E1

Family Name: Kaput_Committee

Character Name: Tuebor

Gonna give it another go after the update is finished, let me know if i should start a certain class for better synergy, i hope we could play duo since i get tired of soloing rather quickly!

• 9 months later...

Well I'm back at it again. It seems the third expansion was released this month. 2nd anniversary is coming in March. I rolled a new Musa/Bladder. I'm also tempted to try ninja and tamer.

Would anyone like a free copy of black desert online ($10 value)? The only stipulation is you must get to level 30 so it rewards me an in game polar bear pet.

Edited by WhenKittensATK