Apple's war with the FBI

Bellona

The FBI this week obtained a court order to force Apple to help it break into an iPhone belonging to one of the two San Bernardino shooters.

Apple is challenging the order, arguing that being forced to build a "backdoor" will make its users less safe.

How do you feel,.. should Apple voluntarily comply. ?

Personally I agree with Apple CEO Tim Cook "that this demand would undermine the vary freedoms and liberty our government is meant to protect."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be done in a very secure and controlled way in order to prevent the backdoor spread to unwanted hands. This could be done by Apple, used and destroyed (somehow).

But yes, there will always be ways of this fall into bad hands. Anyway. How does people Jailbreak iPhone? if they could do it then it's possible to Backdoor so Apple shouldn't be THAT worried. People already been jailbreaking their phones for years.

This should be done in a very secure and controlled way in order to prevent the backdoor spread to unwanted hands. This could be done by Apple, used and destroyed (somehow).

But yes, there will always be ways of this fall into bad hands. Anyway. How does people Jailbreak iPhone? if they could do it then it's possible to Backdoor so Apple shouldn't be THAT worried. People already been jailbreaking their phones for years.

Not really the same thing. Doesn't jailbreaking your phone wipe out all existing data? The point of this backdoor would be to retrieve the data that currently exists on the phone.

I'm with Cook on this one; this can just lead to a slippery slope in more ways than one.

Apple doesn't want to do it so that they aren't held liable for it. If the FBI pays someone else to crack it Apple would probably have nothing to say about it. The thing here is that the FBI wants them to break their own security, which would look bad.

I agree with apple. Based on what I have read this could be used to compromise any persons privacy. The big picture is digital privacy rights.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/18/mark-cuban-apple-did-the-exact-right-thing-in-fbi-fight.html

Google CEO agrees: http://www.thestreet.com/story/13462873/1/google-and-apple-agree-on-one-thing-tech-companies-shouldn-t-enable-customer-hacking.html

To be clear, Apple cannot extract information directly from Farook's, or anyone elese's, iPhone. All data on an iPhone is encrypted. The security measures for iOS 8, which rolled out in 2014, ensure that no one, not even Apple, can access information on an iPhone by sneaking through a software "backdoor."

That's because the files to be extracted are protected by an encryption key that is tied to the user's passcode, which Apple does not possess.

What the government was really asking Apple to do was to help the FBI guess the passcode for Farook"s iPhone.

I think most of us are unaware that what is really happening here is a government attempt at obtaining a method of global privacy violation.

They have the terrorists phone records, text records, and pertinent data already. That was obtained from the phone companies. What they want is a way to snoop on anyone anytime, anywhere! Remember the iphone is a worldwide brand. Ostensibly, with this tech, the US government could hack an iphone anywhere in the world!

It is an attempt to gain a large-scale information grab to be used at some future time for their own purposes.

It has already demonstrated its complete unscrupulousness in using whatever means it has to spy on whomever with or without legal jurisprudence and this would be another tool in the big brother tool belt.

Professional Student is right. Taking it a step further - what the gov't wants is akin to asking a safe maker for every combination that they have ever used and ever combination that they will ever use. I see the gov;ts request as a violation of every U.S. citizen's 4th amendment rights.

Never trust a politician - they lie.