Intel Skylake Overclocked to 7GHz

CheeseMan42

The Intel Core i7-6700K is the "flagship" processor of the Skylake architecture with a base speed of 4GHz, but the base speed is never enough for some people. Overclocker Chi-Kui Lam managed to achieve a clock speed of 7025.66MHz, breaking the record for highest clock speed on the new architecture, but falling short of the highest clock speed of 8722.78MHz, obtained using an AMD FX-8370. Lam paired the CPU with an ASRock motherboard, G.SKILL memory, a 1300W Antec power supply, and liquid nitrogen cooling. In addition to the ultra low temperature cooling provided by the liquid nitrogen, Lam also chose to disable all but one core to give the best chance of achieving high clock speeds.

Source: Hot Hardware

news39852_1-intel_skylake_overclocked_to

Back to original news post

The current top record is a Piledriver CPU with all but one module disabled, so it's a dual-core instead of octa-core. That FX-8370 OC of 8.722GHz kept all its modules active for its speed. Disable some and maybe it goes even higher. The highest Intel overclock is a single core Celeron chip.

The current top record is a Piledriver CPU with all but one module disabled, so it's a dual-core instead of octa-core. That FX-8370 OC of 8.722GHz kept all its modules active for its speed. Disable some and maybe it goes even higher. The highest Intel overclock is a single core Celeron chip.

Is the Celeron a dual or single core inherently?

Is the Celeron a dual or single core inherently?

Single.

I don't think these overclock records should count.  Its not like he is using this setup on a day to day basis and its probably not even stable...show me a setup inside a case that is 24/7 stable running P95 with a max OC and that should be the record...to simply have a setup outside the case with liquid nitrogen cooling to probably barely get cpuz to show imo shouldn't count let alone the fact that he disabled cores...I mean what good is this?  Its useless!!! In a sense I see the disabling of cores as a way of cheating.