OC'ed 5820K question

I seem to be having success overclocking my 5820K, however I'm not familiar with long term effects of OCing. I have a NZXT Kraken X-61,supposedly ideal for OCing, cooling my CPU which is clocked at 4.5Ghz with no apparent problems. My idle temp is 28-30 C and workload temps reaching at the highest 70 C. Is keeping this OC setting for daily, regular use killing the lifespan of my CPU? Should I only OC when extra power is needed?

post-143065-0-85350300-1455046865_thumb.png

any overclock beyond the manufacturer rated specs will shorten the life of the product. Some more than others. If you stay within Intel safe voltage and have some decent cooling. By the time the chip dies, it will be worthless anyways and found on ebay for dollars.

70C under load is a great temp. What voltage are you using and what programs are you using to test the cpu?

I've been running my 2600k @ 4.6ghz and 1.368v since 2011 and it's still going strong. As long as you keep temps and especially your voltage within a safe limit then your cpu should be fine for years to come.

If it can act as a point of reference, for everyday use I stay at 4.5Ghz @ 1.312V on the core, and my Cache clock at 4.0Ghz @ 1.165V.

Are you using fixed Voltage or Adaptive? If you are using a high voltage and can get away with Adaptive it's the best. Since when you aren't pushing your system, it'll keep the voltage low.

What's are your VRM & PCH temps like btw?

Edited by MedievalNerd

4.5Ghz is not a bad everyday clock speed for the chip. Once you get past the disclaimers you will see there are plenty of chips running out of spec for long periods of time. 

For instance my Core i7 920 has been running out of spec overvolted and overclocked for years. Much of that time was spent running F@H

As long as you have decent cooling your not going to shorten life of your chip, regardless of OC or tasks running 24/7.  

Yes and No. Good cooling with counter the effects of higher voltage somewhat but you can still end a CPU life very quickly with high enough voltage no matter the cooling.

Running something like Prime95 24/7 is not shorten the life of a overclocked cpu any more than the overclock itself. Heck my old 920 I sold to my friend still runs overclocked just fine and that computer never turns off. That's like 5 years.