LED IPS Gaming Monitor

Fogel

So I need some advice.   I know exactly what I want...

Must Haves:

1. IPS Panel (no exceptions)
  2. LED
  3. Response Time (6ms or less)
  4. Refresh Rate (nothing less than 60Hz)
  5. Great colors
  6. Good Black Rating

Would Also Love to Have:

1. Refresh Rate (144Hz or greater) << I almost put this in the above priority
  2. 2k or 4k (picture quality matters more than resolution to me)
  3. Thin bezel (really low priority)

It appears what I want won't be cheap, soo... the question becomes has technology improved enough for me to buy what I want?   I've waited for a monitor with these specs for over 5 years.   Patience is waining.   The tech is here but is it advanced for me to be satisfied?  While the price tag will hurt I will pay for a really good monitor.

Monitors that met my google search:

That doesn't mean that is my only choices.   I'm making this topic so if someone knows of other monitors that fit my criteria they will clue me in.   I used to use TFT Central for my monitor hunting but as good as his reviews are, his selection is very limited and his TFT Selector didn't find anything for me.

I know nothing of Acer monitors so I'm not sure what to expect there.   I'm leery though.   Never had a Asus monitor either but I've heard good things about Asus monitors.   While it looks awesome and checks every box... the reviews on the PG278Q are scary because quality control seems pretty bad.  Dell monitors are almost always good so even though the P2715Q does not check all the boxes it does look like a solid monitor.   I don't know if there are other (maybe newer) Dell monitors that check more boxes?

While I don't want my selection to be between those 3 above, if it was limited to the 3 above which would you choose?

Actually I somehow missed the ROG Swift was a TN panel.   Found out reading the reviews for the Dell S2716DG.   I might consider a TN ...if it is a seriously awesome TN panel that competes with IPS picture quality and colors, but IPS is still my #1 want.

Edited by Fogel

Have you looked at any of the LG monitors yet? Many are IPS and UltraWide, so you get a 2560x1080 or 3440x1440. Some of the gaming ones also support FreeSync, which is good if you're on the AMD side of the equation. Usually can be had for a decent price, too.

The ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q is the one with the IPS panel.

I have not!   Thanks for the suggestion!   Looks like they have a big selection of IPS monitors.   Sadly most are Ultra Wide and I'm not too keen on ultra-wide as it looks like you lose about 3" off the top.   Also looking to step up from 1080p with this purchase since they next monitor purchase would be years away.   But man the specs on those monitors look really good and LG usually has great screens.   You definitely gave me some more options.

I will be going Nvidia with my new build so G-Sync would actually benefit me more.

Ahh the 279Q... I knew I saw a ASUS ROG monitor in IPS LED and those reviews look more like what I originally saw.    Glad you fixed that as they may eventually up their quality control.

This is just so I can find these later.

• LG 31MU97-B - 31", 4096x2160 ...$1400 tho! :whoa::erm:
  • LG 34UC87C-B - 34", 3440x1440 UltraWide, only 60Hz, $800 (ppl report sub-$700 sales)

LG has plenty of IPS panels in its own monitors and others. UltraWides are something I'll be moving towards next and a variety of companies make them. Not all games support them yet, but most do.

ASUS I've never used before, but from what I've heard there are more hits than misses. Just have to watch for backlight bleed and stuck/dead pixels, like any other monitor really.

Monoprice has a selection of monitors, too. Good prices on its stuff, plus it carries some other brands. Dunno how many fit your 60Hz+ bit, but there are some 2K and 4K options.

Can't offer too much in monitor advice, but I'm interested to see what you get. I'm still firmly content with my 16:10 master-race (I'd GLADLY, get a new 30" with my resolution, but with an IPS panel and LED backlighting...this old girl pulls as much wattage as my 60" HDTV does!)

I haven't actually played on a >60Hz monitor with FPS that could push past 60 to see what the hubbub is so I can't really comment if that's worth it or not. I do know I'm still not a fan of the new trend of FURTHER widening the monitor further to cost MORE resolution (see above 16:10 master race :P )

I will say that though I was unlucky that my Acer 22" had a stuck pixel from years ago, it still is a working and serves as my backup monitor even to this day. I'd certainly give them a nod as far as quality is concerned. (because stuck pixels can happen to anyone)

I'm guessing your budget is some where under $1000 or higher if it's amazing? I'll try and help find you something just because I'd like to learn what the current monitors of today offer...which hopefully consists of more thany "MAH ultrawide/refresh rate" :lol:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

LG has plenty of IPS panels in its own monitors and others. UltraWides are something I'll be moving towards next and a variety of companies make them. Not all games support them yet, but most do.

ASUS I've never used before, but from what I've heard there are more hits than misses. Just have to watch for backlight bleed and stuck/dead pixels, like any other monitor really.

Monoprice has a selection of monitors, too. Good prices on its stuff, plus it carries some other brands. Dunno how many fit your 60Hz+ bit, but there are some 2K and 4K options.

I will definitely consider Monoprice in my price hunting.   Though I am leaning toward Amazon with small price differences because I feel they have the best return policy.   Even though most, if not all, my monitors have come from online I'm leery of buying monitors and TVs online more so than any other product (minus clothes).   Amazon has the best company policy of them all in this regard so even if its a $20-30 difference I will go probably go Amazon just to feel safer.   If it is over $50 though than I gotta break my comfort zone.

Nice thing about my 60Hz limit is so far I haven't come across anything less than 60Hz.   That may be because in order for a monitor to meet my criteria it has to be fairly recent like a year or less.   Now the question is just how much of a difference does it make going above 60Hz?   The major review sites and regular shoppers (both that bought 144Hz monitors and those who looked but bought 60Hz) all said how surprised they were how much of a difference it made.   But without seeing it myself (no place in town for me to check) I won't know till I see it for myself.   Though it seems like those monitors with 144Hz refresh rate also have G-Sync and FreeSync so yah... :sweat:

Shame there isn't a 2k/4k IPS LED monitor from LG that also has G-Sync and a 144Hz refresh rate because I would buy it!

The Asus PG27AQ panel is worth considering for gaming @ 4K,..   https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27AQ/

That is a very nice monitor!   I can't find it for sale anywhere though, not even through Asus.   It ranks pretty high on my list though, pending price and availability.

Any reason for IPS vs VA type panels? Neither suffer the same pitfalls as TN screens, but there are tradeoffs between the two.

I'm trying to hold off on totally geeking-out and writing a giant wall of gibberish no one but me is interested in reading but the super quick response is I'm totally in love with great picture quality and accurate/vivid colors.  Right now IPS is best tech to get that.  I've tried TN and did not like it at all, even from major brands with high rep.

I do not know much about VA panels at all to be completely honest so I don't know how much it matured.   Last I read on VA panels the response time from Black-to-White was awesome but the response time from Dark-to-Dark was horrible.   So bad that ghosting was a big problem.  Their black rating and contrast are the big draw and color reproduction while not IPS quality is supposedly very good.   But I really don't know the current deal with them and how much they bridged the gap on the Dark-to-Dark response time.   Neither tech is perfect and all 3 have big drawbacks but it feels like IPS fits my wants best.

If you have updated info and/or just know of some good VA panels please share.   I will definitely consider them.  I wasn't even considering the UW monitors till BP replied.  Though I'm not too interested in 1080 Ultra Wides the 2k/4k UWs I am actually now considering.

Can't offer too much in monitor advice, but I'm interested to see what you get. I'm still firmly content with my 16:10 master-race (I'd GLADLY, get a new 30" with my resolution, but with an IPS panel and LED backlighting...this old girl pulls as much wattage as my 60" HDTV does!)

I haven't actually played on a >60Hz monitor with FPS that could push past 60 to see what the hubbub is so I can't really comment if that's worth it or not. I do know I'm still not a fan of the new trend of FURTHER widening the monitor further to cost MORE resolution (see above 16:10 master race :P )

I will say that though I was unlucky that my Acer 22" had a stuck pixel from years ago, it still is a working and serves as my backup monitor even to this day. I'd certainly give them a nod as far as quality is concerned. (because stuck pixels can happen to anyone)

I'm guessing your budget is some where under $1000 or higher if it's amazing? I'll try and help find you something just because I'd like to learn what the current monitors of today offer...which hopefully consists of more thany "MAH ultrawide/refresh rate" :lol:

What, IVIY not saying "save your money dude!" :P

Hey, 16:10 is a great aspect ratio!   I'm with ya totally on the UW.  I'm having a hard time with the increased width but lower height.  I think one reviewer said it is 3" lower in height.   That is significant.  The 2560x1080 resolution looks really skinny to me, for lack of a better word.   Now the 3440 x 1440 resolution looks really nice but wow you have to go big.  It does look very good though!

And yes, IPS is the worst for power draw.   You should see my LCD IPS monitor and the heat it produces!   I've melted candy bars leaving them next to it. lol   Wrapped obviously but still... bad. :fp:

My budget is below $1k.  I would love to stay below $800 but if I see the right monitor I will make exceptions.   It is going to be AT LEAST 5 years before I replace this monitor so I better be happy with it.   And by replace I actually mean, it would move to my general all purpose machine so even though it wouldn't be my prime gaming monitor it would still be used.   But yah, prime gaming monitor for at least 5 years which is why I definitely plan to move up from 1080.

Speaking of Acer, that Acer Predator XB271HU is really catching my eye.   Its got all the features I want ...but it's an Acer. :dunno:   If it was an LG or Dell I would just buy it.  If I see it closer to $700 on Amazon (sold from Amazon vs marketplace) I think I would just buy it and take my chances.   The reviews on it are very promising.   But so far you are the only one saying you would take a chance on a Acer.   The reviews on the Asus have so much contrast it is hard for me to get attached to it.   The Dell is probably 2nd.  Then come the LGs.   If the LGs supported G-Sync they'd be in first outright as I feel so much better going LG than Acer.  But I would also have to go UW as they don't have a standard 2k/4k monitor in my criteria range... well that isn't double the price of my budget range.

So yah, still looking. :D 

What, IVIY not saying "save your money dude!" :P

Hey, 16:10 is a great aspect ratio!   I'm with ya totally on the UW.  I'm having a hard time with the increased width but lower height.  I think one reviewer said it is 3" lower in height.   That is significant.  The 2560x1080 resolution looks really skinny to me, for lack of a better word.   Now the 3440 x 1440 resolution looks really nice but wow you have to go big.  It does look very good though!

And yes, IPS is the worst for power draw.   You should see my LCD IPS monitor and the heat it produces!   I've melted candy bars leaving them next to it. lol   Wrapped obviously but still... bad. :fp:

My budget is below $1k.  I would love to stay below $800 but if I see the right monitor I will make exceptions.   It is going to be AT LEAST 5 years before I replace this monitor so I better be happy with it.   And by replace I actually mean, it would move to my general all purpose machine so even though it wouldn't be my prime gaming monitor it would still be used.   But yah, prime gaming monitor for at least 5 years which is why I definitely plan to move up from 1080.

Speaking of Acer, that Acer Predator XB271HU is really catching my eye.   Its got all the features I want ...but it's an Acer. :dunno:   If it was an LG or Dell I would just buy it.  If I see it closer to $700 on Amazon (sold from Amazon vs marketplace) I think I would just buy it and take my chances.   The reviews on it are very promising.   But so far you are the only one saying you would take a chance on a Acer.   The reviews on the Asus have so much contrast it is hard for me to get attached to it.   The Dell is probably 2nd.  Then come the LGs.   If the LGs supported G-Sync they'd be in first outright as I feel so much better going LG than Acer.  But I would also have to go UW as they don't have a standard 2k/4k monitor in my criteria range... well that isn't double the price of my budget range.

So yah, still looking. :D

Oh but I am... :evilgrin:

Best aspect ratio ever, and Ultra-Wide just seems like the new 16:9 to me as you share the same opinion as I. Make a 16:9 large enough to me and I can't see the difference between it and 16:10, make an UW big enough (with resolution to follow) and I'll be satisfied. I'll never buy a monitor with less vertical pixels than whatever current monitor I possess has.

My monitor is only a TN, I couldn't imagine how much more it'd draw if it was an IPS but atleast it'd be partially justified by it's glory!

Yeah, I think you should be able to find something in your budget in the 27-30" range, I guess you're not into any of the higher end Korean monitors, only going with the big names??

I had an HP after my Acer with the same stuck pixel in the same location (thought I was cursed or something) but my Samsung thankfully broke that curse, so other than that I'd of really loved my Acer. Sure it didn't have a fancy stand (like at all) but it got the job done for the right price. My HP had the coolest most advanced stand but didn't have a sleep function (it was a debranded model so I guest the debranded that function :huh: ). I went from 1680x1050 (Acer) to 1920x1200 (HP) to 2560x1600 (Samsung) for my journey of 16:10 glory though I think there's not much out there to continue the legacy should this old beast fail or I come into to a fair excess of money.

I do agree though, all the Dells I've been around, even the shitty ones, have blown me away with their quality, if I had bought new I would have gotten a Dell 30" but Bosco sold this to me at a steal of a price. I had an LG before my Acer and enjoyed that too but 1280x1024 just wasn't cutting it anymore lol

I'm running an eIPS LED monitor and it puts off minimal heat. Minimal power draw, too. :lol:

I believe Acer and ASUS are the only ones with multiple G-Sync monitors to choose from. AOC and Philips both have one each, but I haven't heard too much on how they stack up. Those two are also 1080p TN panels, so not quite what you're looking for. LG goes with FreeSync for now, maybe it'll have G-Sync down the road, but just FreeSync for now.

If you want a good list of 144Hz/120Hz monitors, then this place is quite handy.

Best aspect ratio ever, and Ultra-Wide just seems like the new 16:9 to me as you share the same opinion as I. Make a 16:9 large enough to me and I can't see the difference between it and 16:10, make an UW big enough (with resolution to follow) and I'll be satisfied. I'll never buy a monitor with less vertical pixels than whatever current monitor I possess has.

My monitor is only a TN, I couldn't imagine how much more it'd draw if it was an IPS but atleast it'd be partially justified by it's glory!

Yeah, I think you should be able to find something in your budget in the 27-30" range, I guess you're not into any of the higher end Korean monitors, only going with the big names??

I had an HP after my Acer with the same stuck pixel in the same location (thought I was cursed or something) but my Samsung thankfully broke that curse, so other than that I'd of really loved my Acer. Sure it didn't have a fancy stand (like at all) but it got the job done for the right price. My HP had the coolest most advanced stand but didn't have a sleep function (it was a debranded model so I guest the debranded that function :huh: ). I went from 1680x1050 (Acer) to 1920x1200 (HP) to 2560x1600 (Samsung) for my journey of 16:10 glory though I think there's not much out there to continue the legacy should this old beast fail or I come into to a fair excess of money.

I do agree though, all the Dells I've been around, even the shitty ones, have blown me away with their quality, if I had bought new I would have gotten a Dell 30" but Bosco sold this to me at a steal of a price. I had an LG before my Acer and enjoyed that too but 1280x1024 just wasn't cutting it anymore lol

My current gaming monitor is 1920x1200 and my general purpose machine uses a 1680x1050 ViewSonic (remember those?) so you are far more current than I am.  :)

Nothing wrong with TN panels (all panels have their pros/cons), they're the best for gaming.   I am just a picture quality whore and I want those better IPS colors.  I'm probably going to stick with the big names because every time I have ventured out of my comfort range for monitors I came away disappointed.   Plus it will be easier to return than an unbranded Korean monitor would be.    I just read a really bad Acer customer service review that reminded me why I buy from Amazon.   Sounds like Acer customer service is only good if you're trying to get rid of those aging headache pills.

Just read a recent review on that XB271HU where the guy is now waiting on this 4th attempt (backlight issues). :yucky:  Seems like there is always a few horror stories like that on all products but wasn't expecting one like that so soon and paired up with that customer service horror story on another Acer monitor (previous model) it has me wondering if it is going to be bad QC like the Asus ROG Swift.   So far most of the reviews are glowing but still seems like a bit of a trend there.

Starting to think that maybe I should see what 2016 brings.   Maybe the ROG Swift and Predator are just good signs monitors are finally starting to move in the direction I been wanting for years.   I dunno, still going to look and maybe I will take a chance but who knows.

I'm running an eIPS LED monitor and it puts off minimal heat. Minimal power draw, too. :lol:

I believe Acer and ASUS are the only ones with multiple G-Sync monitors to choose from. AOC and Philips both have one each, but I haven't heard too much on how they stack up. Those two are also 1080p TN panels, so not quite what you're looking for. LG goes with FreeSync for now, maybe it'll have G-Sync down the road, but just FreeSync for now.

If you want a good list of 144Hz/120Hz monitors, then this place is quite handy.

They came out with eIPS shortly after I bought mine and I wish I had waited.   Then the S-IPS monitors came out and yah... same feeling. :lol:

Bummer LG is only doing FreeSync.   Is Dell making a move on either side?

Ahh that is the site I found when googling.   I really hated their format for ranking monitors but I can see how it would be more beneficial to the majority.   It did point in the general direction to some of the monitors I found so it did its job there.   They keep saying they will do a review of all the monitors they mention in their guide but when I go to reviews I only see the 1.  (looks like Samsung is FreeSync too)   Shame, I'm absolutely in love with my Samsung TV.

Your link made me check my favorite monitor reviewing site - TFT Central.   Looks like he did make a review of the previous Acer model - TFT Central Review of XB270HU.  Though he constantly says he isn't going to touch on the difference too much between 60Hz and 144Hz and G-Sync technology he still had a lot of explanation in the review and tested it quite thoroughly and showed the results.   Seems like the difference is quite big.   That Dell I'm looking at too is listed in this chart that compares monitors on Signal Processing and Response Time.   Good to see a large listing of monitors in the comparison.

His extremely detailed review also had a very interesting link - BlurBusters.   Which basically proves G-Sync provides no perceivable lag unlike V-Sync.

Edited by Fogel

I will definitely consider Monoprice in my price hunting.   Though I am leaning toward Amazon with small price differences because I feel they have the best return policy.   Even though most, if not all, my monitors have come from online I'm leery of buying monitors and TVs online more so than any other product (minus clothes).   Amazon has the best company policy of them all in this regard so even if its a $20-30 difference I will go probably go Amazon just to feel safer.   If it is over $50 though than I gotta break my comfort zone.

Nice thing about my 60Hz limit is so far I haven't come across anything less than 60Hz.   That may be because in order for a monitor to meet my criteria it has to be fairly recent like a year or less.   Now the question is just how much of a difference does it make going above 60Hz?   The major review sites and regular shoppers (both that bought 144Hz monitors and those who looked but bought 60Hz) all said how surprised they were how much of a difference it made.   But without seeing it myself (no place in town for me to check) I won't know till I see it for myself.   Though it seems like those monitors with 144Hz refresh rate also have G-Sync and FreeSync so yah... :sweat:

Shame there isn't a 2k/4k IPS LED monitor from LG that also has G-Sync and a 144Hz refresh rate because I would buy it!

The Asus PG27AQ panel is worth considering for gaming @ 4K,..   https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27AQ/

That is a very nice monitor!   I can't find it for sale anywhere though, not even through Asus.   It ranks pretty high on my list though, pending price and availability.

10+ in stock order within 4-hours for Friday 1-8-2016 delivery,.. price is $1,101.46 US https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-pg27aq-rog-swift-27-3840x2160-ips-4k-g-sync-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-090-as.html