Sli will not work

dling

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I think flashing the BIOS on either card to match the other card might be the only way. It's a pretty simple process. I just can't believe EVGA had started doing this, it seems mighty silly.

I can write you a simpler guide, if you want. This is up-to-date on how to flash your BIOS.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/extract-and-flash-gtx-970-and-980-firmware-zosons-h2o-and-air-custom-bios

There are two ways to save your BIOS, via GPU-Z, and NVFLASH. I would just save both card's BIOS's, then flash one card with the other's BIOS.

Edited by El_Capitan

Honestly a bad or poorly connecting SLI bridge gives the same issues.  I fought my old GTX 770 SLI setup for a couple months and discovered that 90% of the issues were from a bad bridge.  One of the symptoms was SLI disabling when I left the PC alone and couldn't re-enable, I found that flipping over the bridge helped but swapping it for one from my old motherboard actually ended up fixing it. Obviously it could be the other issues mentioned, but can't hurt to troubleshoot this one as it's pretty easy to try.  (Might even want to try the cards in your system but that might just be as much effort as the bios flash :lol:)

do you think the evga would be OK if Iflashed it to the MSI bios? The MSI has higher default clock speeds . Or flash both to the same bios ?

Unfortunately, I think flashing the BIOS on either card to match the other card might be the only way. It's a pretty simple process. I just can't believe EVGA had started doing this, it seems mighty silly.

I can write you a simpler guide, if you want. This is up-to-date on how to flash your BIOS.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/extract-and-flash-gtx-970-and-980-firmware-zosons-h2o-and-air-custom-bios

There are two ways to save your BIOS, via GPU-Z, and NVFLASH. I would just save both card's BIOS's, then flash one card with the other's BIOS.

Edited by dling

I dont have permission to download from this site. :(

do you think the evga would be OK if Iflashed it to the MSI bios? The MSI has higher default clock speeds . Or flash both to the same bios ?

Evga likely wouldn't be excited about the idea and you should flash the bios back if you ever need to RMA or troubleshoot the card with them but at least their RMA customer support is still pretty good and will get you a replacement a bit faster should you break it and maybe "forget" to mention doing a BIOS flash ;)

Alternately you might just want to flash the MSI as it would be easier to return to a retailer where you got it at this point (extended returns and all unless you bought it a long time ago) 

Then again the EVGA 970s were going on sale all over the place so maybe just trying to return the MSI and buying a second evga card then yelling at this should it not work might be even easier if not the instant gratification I know we all want.

As for the clock speeds nearly all the 970s seem to OC reasonably well so I wouldn't care about the "stock" settings for either as the other should be able to match the fastest out of the box speeds anyway.

Edited by cchalogamer