Friends PC stopped working! - HELP =)

Hi everyone,my friend had a pc built for him by another friend a while back. The computer all shut off while he was playing a game and it would not turn back on. We just bought him a new psu and now the computer turns on, but nothing will display. I tried 2 of my graphics cards and both the monitors I use and neither of them would read the display either (tried both hdmi and dvi and both screens say "no signal"). From this I am thinking it can't be the graphics card or the psu. My friend never clean his computer so it was pretty bad with dust, not sure what to look into next? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tony C

His build
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD5850 1gb DDR5
Motherboard: Asus M4a79XTD Evo
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws ddr3-1600-12800 - 8gb

He is unsure what CPU he has.

We just put in a corsair RM750 PSU

PS. I tried to do the CMOS reset and no luck. The green light on mobo comes on, everything seems okay...but nothing displays.

Clean out the CPU cooler, remove it, clean off the old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste, reattach the CPU cooler, and see if it boots.

Could also potentially be a motherboard issue, but first see if it's just heat due to dust build up.

I tried my old 560ti that i recently replaced, and tried his card. I just swapped parts around besides the mobo and cpu and no luck. the pc boots up since we replaced the psu, he said it wouldnt turn on at all. now it all lights up, mobo has a green light. I tried both slots on the mobo with both graphics cards and same issue "no signal" using both hdmi and dvi connections on a new samsung 4k monitor and my other asus 1080p monitor.

I will try removing cpu and reinserting I guess next. I ended up just buying him a new rig and told him he can pay me back later...

Ordered:

Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower Windowed Case
Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz
ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2/USB 3.1 LGA1150 DDR3
Corsair RM750 PSU

• Like 1

Helluva friend to do that for him. 

I remember how it was to not have much, and I know hard hard it is to be without a pc. He wanted me to order him the bare minimum of parts, but I just couldn't justify saving a few dollars just to have to rebuild again in a year..hoping these parts will last him for a long while.