Choosing SSD for new build

NCC10281982B

I know almost nothing about SSD performance. Thus I am somewhat at a loss making a choise for my new build.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/203424-upgrading-for-jc3-and-future/

I'm looking for fast application and or game map load times. Does all that stuff about Memory Components and Memory controler mean very much? 

1TB SSDs will be on sale around 300$ on black friday

I dont have any recommendations to increase speeds though for a particular brand

you do know about the AMD thing right?

you can load games into the DDR3 memory

RAM will be cheap this week also 

Edited by potatochobit

I've found that 240-256GB SSDs are all that anyone needs if they are responsible. I rarely ever use over half of my drives (240GB) and am plenty happy, though there are some great deals out there on 480GB-512GB right now so it could be worth it just for the hell of it (as some offer a better $$/GB ratio).

I don't recommend getting a drive because it's "faster" or has a longer warranty, not one of my drives or any drives in my family from a host of different makers has died. My oldest (over 5 years) being a Vertex 2, which is from OCZ which had a very bad streak of failures because people didn't know how to flash a firmware properly. Obviously I did, and therefore my drive is still running strongly in my PS3 right now. In my family circle I have three OCZs, one Kingston, one Crucial, one SanDisk, one Samsung and one Silicon Power. Not one has had an issue.

Speed differences in benchmarks will not be noticeable in real life usage, especially your first jump to an SSD to HDD, they all will be much faster. Get the one that gives the best value from a good company (pretty much all)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Any SSD will be much better than any HDD. The SanDisk Ultra II is $200 for 1TB. Great thing about dedicated game drives, is that you don't have to worry about the speed as much.

RAMDisk is alright, no need for it. They did HDD because SSD would be like 7 to 8 seconds compared to the RAMDisk. I had a 32GB RAMDisk setup to try it, it really wasn't much faster than an SSD for games. For other things, yeah, games, no.

An SSD read speed is around 500 MB/s

Ramdisk is 4,800 MB/s

the performance gain is ludicrous.

but your processor and gaphic card cannot handle it anyway, so like I mentioned dont worry about brand and get the space you need.

No game on earth will have more than 500 MB's to load for any particular level. The difference between a RAMDisk and SSD will be minimal for games. The rest of the time is the game itself, and from rendering.

I am planning to just use my existing SSD. Not wanting to sink more $ into the SW if the performance gain is not very big.

Thanks guys.

Lol which SSD do you have though? that wasn't reflected in the CPU-Z report.